USMLE Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Ex-USMLE Forums Staff
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so you are getting ready to enlist the programs in your rank order list in your NRMP account.

The most common question by far ...

Should I rank the programs I like or the programs that can potentially rank me higher?

The answer is, Rank the programs that you like first, it doesn't matter whether they'll rank you or not.

Let me explain it further.

The NRMP algorithm gives priority to applicants (not to programs) so the machine will start by looking at your ROL first and check the first program that you ranked, if they ranked you or not. If yes, then you are matched and that's it. If no, then it will go to your second rank and then third rank and so forth.

In other words, if you rank program X as fifth in your list and another applicant ranked that same program X as first in their list and program X ranked you and did not rank the other applicant, you will get it. It doesn't matter that you ranked it lower than the other applicant, what matters, is the match (you ranked the program and the program ranked you).

So say, you had 2 interviews;

Program number 1 was in a program that is not very nice and you don't really like them that much but they showed great interest in you and you feel they'll rank you highly.
Program number 2 was in a program that is fantastic and that you really wish to join them but you are not sure they'll rank you.

Your ROL should be:
Program number 2 then Program number 1

This is because if you miss the first rank (program2) the algorithm will automatically take go to your next rank (program1) and you will not lose the chance of ranking it.

But if you do the reverse, Program1 then Program2, you are likely to be matched in program1 and you'll miss the potential chance (no matter how small it is) of being matched in program2 which is the program that you like most.

The NRMP explained the algorithm in details here http://www.nrmp.org/communication.html

·
Registered
26 Posts
Should we let know the PD's about our ranking? Or tell them aproximately if they are as on of your top choices? I had some feedback from some PD's to tell them aproximately how will I rank them.

My point is, if I tell them that I will rank them second or third, does that mean they woudn't rank me high in their list (knowing that they are not my first choice)?

On the other hand, what will happen if I tell everyone that I will rank them first?

OK, so you are getting ready to enlist the programs in your rank order list in your NRMP account.

The most common question by far ...

Should I rank the programs I like or the programs that can potentially rank me higher?

The answer is, Rank the programs that you like first, it doesn't matter whether they'll rank you or not.

Let me explain it further.

The NRMP algorithm gives priority to applicants (not to programs) so the machine will start by looking at your ROL first and check the first program that you ranked, if they ranked you or not. If yes, then you are matched and that's it. If no, then it will go to your second rank and then third rank and so forth.

In other words, if you rank program X as fifth in your list and another applicant ranked that same program X as first in their list and program X ranked you and did not rank the other applicant, you will get it. It doesn't matter that you ranked it lower than the other applicant, what matters, is the match (you ranked the program and the program ranked you).

So say, you had 2 interviews;

Program number 1 was in a program that is not very nice and you don't really like them that much but they showed great interest in you and you feel they'll rank you highly.
Program number 2 was in a program that is fantastic and that you really wish to join them but you are not sure they'll rank you.

Your ROL should be:
Program number 2 then Program number 1

This is because if you miss the first rank (program2) the algorithm will automatically take go to your next rank (program1) and you will not lose the chance of ranking it.

But if you do the reverse, Program1 then Program2, you are likely to be matched in program1 and you'll miss the potential chance (no matter how small it is) of being matched in program2 which is the program that you like most.

The NRMP explained the algorithm in details here http://www.nrmp.org/communication.html

1 - 3 of 3 Posts