USMLE Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1.Whats the best way to rank programs? should I rank universities first or community with h1 visa..?
2.what all do i need to see before ranking?(like number of residents, location what else?
.Appreciate ur comments...

·
Registered
471 Posts
1.Whats the best way to rank programs? should I rank universities first or community with h1 visa..?
2.what all do i need to see before ranking?(like number of residents, location what else?
.Appreciate ur comments...
Far most importantly is YOUR GUT, meaning out of all options what did you like the most in general, then try to test these six conditions that I have recognised for myself for every given program:
1- Strong clinical training: knowing the fact all programs follow the ACGME requirements so basically they all will provide you with the minimal acceptable training not much differences on that aspect, yet; they all differ in the type of setting you will be exposed, is it a VA based, or Non VA based, somehow well balanced between both, is it a community? or a University? where things differ in terms of work load, expected load, commuting, numbers of rotation outside the main hospital etc..
2- Research: research isn't for everyone, yet; it is important to be exposed to at least to know how to conduct such a thing. if you're thinking of an academic career you need to be focusing on this component very much on your ranking list.
try to test the resident profiles, look for how many publications since they joined, what are their scholarly activity? do they present at conferences? has anyone won an award for their contribution in a research project? things like that reflect on the efforts provided by the programs to their residents.
3-Faculty: check for their quantity and quality, check for the resident faculty ratio, that would reflect much on mentorship.
4- atmosphere, how friendly the residents were? any resident transferred or got fired? is there any activities outside work?
5- Location: is very imp, any near by institutions that might benefit you in terms of connecting for future fellowships, weather, the need of car, the cost of living etc.
6- Fellowships: Where do residents go after residency?

try to test all these components on every program you interviewed at, if your issue is visa since you mentioned H1B thats a different game.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts