USMLE Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Learning Outcomes
What is the relative efficiency of different learning styles for acquisition and retention of knowledge? There is a gradient from passive to active styles of learning, with greater gain in knowledge for more active styles.

10% - Reading

20% - Hearing

30% - Seeing

50% - Hearing and Seeing

70% - Saying

90% - Doing

Reading by onself, unless accompanied by note-taking or other more active methodology, yields the least return on investment of time. Hearing and seeing in a lecture is mainly passive, and rarely yields the 50% gain because of inattention, but more likely no better than 20%. Hearing and seeing in a small group learning activity that focuses attention likely comes close to the 50% yield, and active group participation by saying gets knowledge gain up to 70%. The kinesthetic mode of learning with doing (either the real thing or a simulation) yields the highest gain of all, because it is the most active.
I m doing this,trying to use atlas in any material with images like neuroanatomy,the ascending and descending tracts,all the connexion of thalamus,
i did it too when i m studing the kidney and all the diuretics.
i don't know yet but some chapter are getting easier.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.