USMLE Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pathoma video says hypo & hyperthyroidism causes oligomenorrhea. I thought hyperthyroidism causes oligomenorrhea & hyothyroidism causes menorrhagia. Firstaid doesn't say anything.please clear my confusion.I have my exam soon Thanks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
hypo/hyperthyroidism

Both hypo & hyperthyroidism can cause any menstrual abnormality but most common menstrual abnormality in hyperthyroidism is oligomenorrhea/amenorrhea while that in hypothyroidism is menorrhagia (*opposite relation). Hope this clears your doubt.

·
Registered
47 Posts
hypo/hyperthyroidism

Ya. Hypo causes oligomenorrhoea and hyper causes menorrhagia. Also note that hypo cause diastolic and hyper causes systolic HTN
I dont agree with the menstrual abnormalities mentioned by you. According to Harrison 18 ed (pg 2920 & pg 2923) "Women frequently experience oligomenorrhea or amenorrhea (in hyperthyroidism)".

Regarding HTN you are spot on.

·
Registered
34 Posts
man this topic is crap and still no specific answer how thyroid disease in hyper or hypo form affect the menstrual cycle, u can't just specify one for each still under research that's why u will see every book is going on his own.

·
Registered
69 Posts
mechanism?

Im not sure if this is the exact mechanism- but this is how it was explained to me :

In hypOthyroidism-- you have decreased t3 and decreased t4. This causes TRH to be INCREASED ( trh from hypothalmus)--> We know that TRH stimulates PROLACTIN and hyperprolactinemia cuases decreased LH/FSH --> amenorrhea .**

HypERthyroidism can also cause amenorrhea. The mechanism behind this involves SHBG regulation ( produced in liver). So, hyperthyroidism leads to Increased production of SHBG-- this leads to decreased amount of free estrogen --> decreased chances that you will have an LH peak and therefore AMENORRHEA.

**My confusion now lies in the fact that MTB 2 pg 112 says " hypothryoidism is characterized by almost all bodily processes being slowed down except menstural flow which is INCREASED".

I hope my mechanism hasnt confused anyone. If this is incorrect, please let me know and ill take it down .. dont want to confuse others.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Im not sure if this is the exact mechanism- but this is how it was explained to me :

In hypOthyroidism-- you have decreased t3 and decreased t4. This causes TRH to be INCREASED ( trh from hypothalmus)--> We know that TRH stimulates PROLACTIN and hyperprolactinemia cuases decreased LH/FSH --> amenorrhea .**

HypERthyroidism can also cause amenorrhea. The mechanism behind this involves SHBG regulation ( produced in liver). So, hyperthyroidism leads to Increased production of SHBG-- this leads to decreased amount of free estrogen --> decreased chances that you will have an LH peak and therefore AMENORRHEA.

**My confusion now lies in the fact that MTB 2 pg 112 says " hypothryoidism is characterized by almost all bodily processes being slowed down except menstural flow which is INCREASED".

I hope my mechanism hasnt confused anyone. If this is incorrect, please let me know and ill take it down .. dont want to confuse others.
hmmmm, is it right that prolactin inhibit secretion of FSH and LH?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts