USMLE Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A 25-year-old woman at 22 weeks' gestation comes to the physician for a routine prenatal examination. She is hypertensive and urinalysis shows mild proteinuria. The physician advises rest and conservative medical care. Which of the following complications are most likely to lead to maternal death?
A. Cerebral edema and laryngeal edema
B. Cerebral hemorrhage and adult respiratory distress syndrome
C. Convulsions and renal tubular necrosis
D. Hemolysis and hepatic infection
E. Hepatic rupture and renal cortical necrosis

Source: Kaplan Q bank

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The right answer:
B. Cerebral hemorrhage and adult respiratory distress syndrome

For brothers who answered c:
This is not an eclampsia case,this a preeclampsia case.
Eclampsia is one of the complications of preeclampsia but it is not the most common complication to cause to maternal death.

·
Registered
625 Posts
What does Mild proteinurea have to do with ARDS and cerebral hermorrege? Also the question didn't specify degree of HTN, so the association is a little loose I think - I mean - if the question had "heart failure" as an option should we have picked that because that is the number one killer of women?

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What does Mild proteinurea have to do with ARDS and cerebral hermorrege? Also the question didn't specify degree of HTN, so the association is a little loose I think - I mean - if the question had "heart failure" as an option should we have picked that because that is the number one killer of women?
HTN & mild proteinurea in question,most probably indicate Preeclampsia.
The most cause of maternal death from Preeclampsia is Cerebral hemorrhage & ARDS.

By the way,It is from Kaplan Q bank, Go & tell them your idea:D

·
Registered
625 Posts
I get mad at Kaplan qbank for these types of questions sometimes, but I think thats just my frustration at the USMLE coming out. I think maybe, this question is supposed to suggest that preeclampsia causes death by cerebral hemorrege and ards and not by eclampsia which might be the natural association.

Thanks for posting though, another fact to remember... :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts