USMLE Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does low K+ cause increased insulin release or decreased? UWorld for some reason says increased released, but I am pretty sure it is decreased release.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Are you sure that you are talking about low K ---> Insulin secretion or the reverse, Insulin ----> Hypokalemia

The latter is well know and well studies but the former does not make sense or at least is not well known (therefore unlikely tested in USMLE).

-

·
Registered
530 Posts
Are you sure that you are talking about low K ---> Insulin secretion or the reverse, Insulin ----> Hypokalemia

The latter is well know and well studies but the former does not make sense or at least is not well known (therefore unlikely tested in USMLE).

-
i think he is talking about the constant K+ channels that are open constantly in the beta cells(same channels that are influenced by Sulfonylureas.). I dont think the beta channels respond to fluctuating potassium levels. The beta-cell what i know is that they have glucose receptors AND also glucagon receptors(glucagon decreases insulin release.

Correct me if im wrong

1 - 3 of 3 Posts