USMLE Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soon after admission to the coronary care unit for his first myocardial infarction, a 45 yr old businessman refuses to be examined by the house officers and demands to see the most senior cardiologist in the hospital. He tells this individual that his secretary must be permitted unrestricted visiting privileges because he has many important business deals that require prompt attention. He adopts a condescending attitude toward the physicians and nurses. A reasonable management plan while the patient is acutely ill would include which of the following?

A. Tell the patient that he must do what the doctors say or risk serious consequences.
B. Restrict visits by the secretary until the patient is well.
C. Discuss fears of dependency, loss of control, and damage to self-esteem.
D. Agree that the patient is an important person.
E. Refer the patient to a psychiatrist.
:)

·
Registered
373 Posts
I guess it would be

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No,my dear friends it is" d"

I guess it would be

Ans is...............D.
Supporting the patient"s self-esteem and allowing him some control will decrease his need to keep demonstrating his importance.Attempts to assert the physician"s control over the situation are likely to make the patient feel more threatened and increase the patient"s attempts to reassure himself by becoming more demanding.Although a few acutely ill patients may benefit at some point from discussions of fears of dependency,loss of control,or damage to their self-esteem,confronting this issue during the acute phase of illness tends to increase anxiety.A psychiatric referral at this point will make the patient feel rejected or insulted.....................:))

1 - 7 of 7 Posts