USMLE Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello​
I am an IMG student and I want to ask how taking an elective at Harvard Medical School will increase my chance in the matching & residency later on.
Is it really worth to spend 4,625$ for a month? (Especially that I am financially broken).
I can get that elective by taking a loan with this amount of money; but I want to make sure that it would really help me later on.​
My question is the following:​
Do you advice to work for having the elective round or is it enough to study for my exams and try to match without any elective in USA?​
Thanks in advance​
Best Regards​

·
Vendor
272 Posts
Do you have any other US clinical experience? Also, is this elective hands on?

If this elective is your only USCE and hands on than it will be invaluable to your application. The strongest IMG applicants have a background with USCE where they were able to experience working in a US medical environment and got Letters of Recommendation.

As long as you work hard and get a lor out of the experience, an investment in a high profile elective could make all the difference.

-Olivia
Match A Resident Support

Reactions: Tess1891

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hello​
I am an IMG student and I want to ask how taking an elective at Harvard Medical School will increase my chance in the matching & residency later on.
Is it really worth to spend 4,625$ for a month? (Especially that I am financially broken).
I can get that elective by taking a loan with this amount of money; but I want to make sure that it would really help me later on.​
My question is the following:​
Do you advice to work for having the elective round or is it enough to study for my exams and try to match without any elective in USA?​
Thanks in advance​
Best Regards​
Harvard is just a brand name and if they give you no LOR what will you do with that experience? Any elective at any reputable place (state universities or hospitals) at lower cost is better option if it will cost you $4625 and with living, transportation expenses you are looking at easily more than $6000 per month. If you have the money go for it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts