USMLE Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Im a IMG from Ecuador, and I want internal medicine… just yesterday got my result: 99/229… and im a little bit confused… is that a good score to get into IM residency??? I have also a past rotation in 2009 and I got 2 recommendation letters… is that enough?? What more can I do?? Help me please im very confused… thank you!

·
Registered
625 Posts
It is an amazing score. More research / letters of recommendation and face to face contact will help, but this score should definitely get you some interviews.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
You should get it easily

Hi Im a IMG from Ecuador, and I want internal medicine… just yesterday got my result: 99/229… and im a little bit confused… is that a good score to get into IM residency??? I have also a past rotation in 2009 and I got 2 recommendation letters… is that enough?? What more can I do?? Help me please im very confused… thank you!
Your score is an excellent Step 1 score.
What you need to do to secure IM residency is the following:

• Get similarly high score in Step 2 CK
  • Get at least 2 US originated LoRs
  • Do at least 2 months of USCE (even if it is observerships)
  • Pass the CS from first time
If you do these things, you should get IM residency easily

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very much my friends... I'll keep studying hard... But i have one more question... I have 2 Rec Letters dated Sept 2008 ... It would be ok for the match in 2011??? do i have to get other more recent rec letters ??? thank you once again and best wishes for all :))

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
You need US LoRs

Thank you very much my friends... I'll keep studying hard... But i have one more question... I have 2 Rec Letters dated Sept 2008 ... It would be ok for the match in 2011??? do i have to get other more recent rec letters ??? thank you once again and best wishes for all :))
Most residency program do not like letters of recommendations that are older than one year old.
More over, it looks like your LoRs are not written by US doctors. If you read my reply above, I told you should be getting US LoRs to increase your chances of getting IM residency.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Most residency program do not like letters of recommendations that are older than one year old.
More over, it looks like your LoRs are not written by US doctors. If you read my reply above, I told you should be getting US LoRs to increase your chances of getting IM residency.
Thank you sabio... my 2 recommendations letters were issued by attendings from the MD Anderson Cancer Center Infectious diseases dpt in Houston, TX, during an observership i did there in 2008... Is it ok if i ask them to issue me an updated ones??? - Thank you one more time!!!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Points are great. IM I think is quite IMG friendly residency. Older colleague in Finland with whom I have discussed done his IM residency in 90s.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you sabio... my 2 recommendations letters were issued by attendings from the MD Anderson Cancer Center Infectious diseases dpt in Houston, TX, during an observership i did there in 2008... Is it ok if i ask them to issue me an updated ones??? - Thank you one more time!!!
Sabio I have this same question too. Can we ask doctors to update LORS?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts