USMLE Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I study in Jordan and I just finished my basic years. I'm planning to do the Step 1 about a year from now. I've been reading all sorts of guides and experiences of people with superbly high grades. However, none of those people were lazy in their basic years and were doing well from the start. I'm aiming for a very high grade in the Step 1, and I plan to take it extremely seriously. The problem is I don't know where to start. People have been recommending the Kaplan or the RR or BRS series, but I feel like I don't have enough of a background as it is to just jump on to a review book. Where do I start? I know it sounds ridiculous to read a from reference books like Robbin's, but to me it sounds like the only viable option to be able to get a high score. What do you think? :D

·
Registered
69 Posts
start with watching kaplan videos. they are extremely useful in building basic foundation. i wouldn't use kaplan books as a study source, but rather the videos to make you understand concepts. watch all subjects except pathology, for pathology, better watch pathoma videos and book. then once you're done with your foundation, give FA a quick read, then start UW.

Reactions: iamsaif1992

·
Registered
43 Posts
start with watching kaplan videos. they are extremely useful in building basic foundation. i wouldn't use kaplan books as a study source, but rather the videos to make you understand concepts. watch all subjects except pathology, for pathology, better watch pathoma videos and book. then once you're done with your foundation, give FA a quick read, then start UW.
do you think kaplan micro videos are also a must ?
- i was thinking doing micro from FA + uworld only, and to use cmmrs book only as reference.
i'm trying to find a way to save a bit of time..

what do you think?

·
Registered
69 Posts
because virology is a bit more confusing than bacteria, you have to know if it's single stranded dna or double stranded, shape of envelope, transcription mechanisms of viruses, etc.. which i personally think is more challenging than bacteria

·
Registered
3 Posts
kaplan videos and FA and u world

hi iam from middle east also and the medical basics seem not important in the minds of our docs they are just concentrate on clinical years
do you think kaplan videos and FA and u world will make me get good score in usmle1 or its just for building basic info

1 - 7 of 7 Posts