USMLE Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I was hoping that someone can answer this for me... in terms of getting into residency, is it going to make a difference if an IMG is a US citizen? Does s/he get priority over non US citizen IMG?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Sure!

Sure! many program directors prefer to have US citizens in their programs ... why to risk getting involved with an IMG with all the visa and the legal and the cultural issues?

nevertheless, many programs are termed "IMG friendly" so your chance there is better .. also, i think being a US citizen or a green card holder makes no difference as long as you are an IMG, and as long as your step scores are similar

·
Registered
10 Posts
I hope my question is relevant to the topic !
I was searching through FREIDA and i found that most universities require US citizenship if not a permanent residency in the US although i was searching IMG friendly programs ! Is it true or i'm not getting it?!

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I hope my question is relevant to the topic !
I was searching through FREIDA and i found that most universities require US citizenship if not a permanent residency in the US although i was searching IMG friendly programs ! Is it true or i'm not getting it?!
Probably what you looked for is how to get into medical school not how to get into residency.
To get into residency you don't need to be a US citizen or Green Card holder, as the IMG friendly programs will sponsor you H1 or J1 Visa.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts