USMLE Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people,
I am an IMG and started studying for Step 1 in 01/2013. I work as a Medical assistant and some days I can only manage to study 3-4 hours a day , however I use my weekends and manage to study 14 hours both saturday and sunday. I finished Kaplan QBank and my score was 68% , I started UW 2/18/15 and have been getting 60-80% (I have only managed to complete 17 exams because I am taking long revising the answers).I keep doubting myself because I forget information that I knew by heart!!(but then again genetics for example I have not reviewed in a while). I think what has helped me most is linking the chapters from the organ systems and whenever I read about two related diseases I review them both. I took NBME 7 (4 weeks ago) and scored 390/206...

I took NBME 11 2 weeks ago and scored 430/213 which made me feel better. I completed 35% of UW...I plan on examining towards the end of may. Does anyone know what the best NBME's to take are from here until the date of my exam?
Thank You

I plan on taking Step 1 in May and I REALLY need to improve my score. I have to keep working until april but I have May off.... Does anyone have any other advice?
I also forgot to mention that I have gone through FA and Pathoma several times...have not read them as full books , just whenever I review certain systems.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Two weeks left

Hey everyone ,
So after I took my first two NBMEs...7 (206) and 11 (213) I continued with UW and finished with 70%. I took NBME 12 and went down to 202 and a week later took NBME 13 and got 205. I don´t know what was happening, so I decided to not do a second round of UW and start reading FA and pathoma again with videos. Last week I took UWSA 1 and got 238 which boosted my confidence and plan on taking UWSA2 , NBME 15, 16 and 17 before the real thing on the 29th...anyone have any advice for my last two weeks_ Right now I am basically memorizing and remembering concepts.
Bestof luck to all

·
Registered
24 Posts
Weak areas

Hey, your plan is good. Also, for the next to weeks review your weak areas of the NBME's. I just took my step and failed for not giving enough time and paid attention to the weak areas. I learned my lesson too late, but oh well...I'll do better next time. You still have 2 weeks to give it your best. You will do great!!! Just be confident and go with a winning attitude :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all your support and advice...
So after USA1 (238) I studied two more weeks and took UWSA 2 and got 232. Yesterday I took the prometric practice exam and got 80%, it helped me to decrease my level of anxiety.
Best of luck to all!!!
Will take NBME 17 on monday and the exam on the 29th

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Took exam

Hello everyone,
So I took NBME 17 4 days before my exam and got a 224...I finally took Step 1 on 5/29/15. The exam was VERY LONG, I was exhausted after 8 hours, my vision even became blurry...I honestly recommend UWORLD to anyone , UW+FA are enough. I am now waiting for my results...I am very nervous and anxious because I don't know what happened in there. I just pray for the best!!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hello everyone,
So I took NBME 17 4 days before my exam and got a 224...I finally took Step 1 on 5/29/15. The exam was VERY LONG, I was exhausted after 8 hours, my vision even became blurry...I honestly recommend UWORLD to anyone , UW+FA are enough. I am now waiting for my results...I am very nervous and anxious because I don't know what happened in there. I just pray for the best!!!
Congradulations ! You killed that exam and you are already the winner ))

What about the questions? Were there any question about quality improvement, weird ethics and so on? ..

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To be truly honest there were no weird ethics questions...I was expecting those , but they were all quite familiar. i don't know what they meant by changing the pool of questions because I saw most questions really similar to UW , it reminded me of the UWSA1!!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
To be truly honest there were no weird ethics questions...I was expecting those , but they were all quite familiar. i don't know what they meant by changing the pool of questions because I saw most questions really similar to UW , it reminded me of the UWSA1!!!
what about anatomy?

·
Registered
76 Posts
So, the combo remains to be UW+FA : )
How many times did u do UW?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Anatomy is VERY HIGH YIELD on this exam...just as I expected it to be. You must work on Muscle and neuro , these are very important. But trust me at least the qs on my exam were pretty straight forward. Also work on immunology! nothing compared to previous qbank questions...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts