USMLE Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm an IMG and I was wondering for those of you who have matched,
did anyone ask about your medical school grades? Your overall GPA? If a C student who has a good CV like LORs and double 99s on his steps and even a research! Would they still question about the school grades and the total GPA if they were bad? Please this is really important and I need a detailed answer :) Thank you

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was wondering about this myself as I didn't have stellar grades in med school, but I was never asked about that during interviews. However, my country does not use the American system of grades A-F, so people probably cared even less about my MSPE.

Overall, I think board scores and everything else matter so much more. However, something like a leave of absence or extended med school training will be noted and some interviewers asked me about that.

·
Registered
39 Posts
As IMGs most PD & PC don't know out schools, so they put little emphasis on school records, BUT if there is failing grades or a low GPA then that can be a red flag, if you have excellent school scores, etc, then they'll just shrug it off.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Nobody asked anything about my transcripts other then
1) Do you have them
2) Do you have an official copy of them (IE on official school paper or with school seal)

Official transcripts - Most places in the US want them in a sealed envelope that has your school name on it with a seal on the back. None of the places that asked for my transcripts cared about it being officially sealed for interviews.

For the program I matched out, they only wanted an official copy that signified my YOG + that my title signified MD or M.B.B.S.

When I did research, the institution I worked at DID want official transcripts and diploma in a sealed envelope. It's good to have at least 4-5 official copies individually sealed of your diploma & transcripts. Depends on your country, but it can be a pain to get (my school was always baffled by this request).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As IMGs most PD & PC don't know out schools, so they put little emphasis on school records, BUT if there is failing grades or a low GPA then that can be a red flag, if you have excellent school scores, etc, then they'll just shrug it off.
thank you a lot, so if I have a low GPA it's still a red flag even with high usmle scores?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Nobody asked anything about my transcripts other then
1) Do you have them
2) Do you have an official copy of them (IE on official school paper or with school seal)

Official transcripts - Most places in the US want them in a sealed envelope that has your school name on it with a seal on the back. None of the places that asked for my transcripts cared about it being officially sealed for interviews.

For the program I matched out, they only wanted an official copy that signified my YOG + that my title signified MD or M.B.B.S.

When I did research, the institution I worked at DID want official transcripts and diploma in a sealed envelope. It's good to have at least 4-5 official copies individually sealed of your diploma & transcripts. Depends on your country, but it can be a pain to get (my school was always baffled by this request).
I always thought they had access to this from ERAS or ECFMG. I think I'm lost here. :notsure:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Apparently not, because 2 programs asked for copies of my transcripts. Maybe it was because this year was a huge issue with ERAS crashing and what not.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Apparently not, because 2 programs asked for copies of my transcripts. Maybe it was because this year was a huge issue with ERAS crashing and what not.
plz guys ur missing out the important topic,, as an IMG would my med school grades count in my app.?Do they look at them or they only consider the steps scores??

·
Registered
34 Posts
plz guys ur missing out the important topic,, as an IMG would my med school grades count in my app.?Do they look at them or they only consider the steps scores??
To some degree, if your step scores are high, you'll get many invites regardless. Then from there you may be asked about clerkship grades if they're too low. But to most it doesn't matter. I'd say a good amount of students start slow and then buckle down eventually. If there was a candidate with your credentials but good school scores and all else being equal, he may get ranked higher.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts