USMLE Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought being a student make me highly competitive as I am going to be soooo fresh graduate
also AMGs apply as students.
So did I see in the forums that ECFMG certificate is an advantage!

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
AMG story is different from IMG story.
Many residency programs do not look up your application unless you are ECFMG certified because they fear you won't pass the steps or you won't get credentials verified.
Nevertheless, there are many other programs that do look at applicants even if they are not ECFMG certified and these programs will certainly value you highly because as you said you'll be so fresh :rolleyes:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok tell me this
which paper indicate that i am not ECFMG certified
i mean maybe in the same place we can add that i am ECFMG certified but just waiting to recieve my diploma to be certified

maybe also calling ecfmg will make them workout something

i mean it is gotta be something to do right

so can you give me % of how many will not look if i am not certified and how many will look

what do u think
is it 50% 50%

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I think the percentage of programs that need ECFMG certificate at the time of application is way below 50% maybe 20% or something. But remember, these are the programs that are really IMG friendly, so you will be missing real chances.
As to whether you can do something about it, no there's isn't anything that you can do about it. You have to be ECFMG certified, period.
In ERAS, there's a question that asks you if you are ECFMG certified or not. If you say YES, you have to provide the date of issue. So if you don't have the ECFMG certificate in hand you can't answer that question.
Even if you want to just give them any date from your imagination, they will go and check with ECFMG if you are really certified and you will be busted :eek:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts