USMLE Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Immunology is very hard for me , i think !
I can't grasp the concepts.
Anyone please advise me how to do ?
Thanks a lot , waiting for your sincere advice !

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hey aungawa
I haven't studied immunology for step 1 yet. Nevertheless, i got a couple of advices for you about immuno concepts :
first : use FIGURES ! one figure explaining a concept is better than a hundred pages !
second : i used to study immunology from this book back in may basic years .. i don't know if it's good for step 1 ( in fact i think it's not comprehensive enough ) but it explains concepts in a good way , it is Nairn's immunology ( not sure about the spelling ) gots many many figures

i hope i was helpful!
good luck in step 1

·
Registered
22 Posts
Immunology is concept based, and many other subjects are about the same. You need to have a good grasp of the basics of immuno and take it further by being repetitive and avoid memorizing..but hold the concepts:
Start with the concepts of Immunity (innate, adaptive, acquired and so on), then move on to the role of interlukins and complement cascade and what active them and their roles. If you can understand this alone, you will be able to answer many questions on the exam.

One thing, stick with one book, such as Immuno make incredibly simple or kaplan note. The books mostly explain the same thing, and you need to find one that does not give too many confusing details. The board will not try to trick you with long and hard questions on immuno. They may give you a long question, but the answer should be quite simple.

Take your time with immuno nemonics and listen to at least pass program Immuno for a quick understanding on what you need for the exam. You must not create confusion within your very self. I am sure you already know more than you thought. You just need to do questions and integrate the concepts. You will be amazed to see how much you know!

Trust yourself and stop being too negative on yourself also. Study is a process that take time and patience, and for the board, as long as you are the smartest person on earth, it is even harder. So, you should be patient and do not take no for an answer when it come to what you can do.

If you understand pathology, immuno should also be part of what you already learned. hang in there and start with the basic.

God bless!

·
Registered
919 Posts
dr.logical66 is right. :)stop being too negative or too hard on yrself. u're only human. :happy:before i got the kaplan notes i studied immunology from micro books and i must say, after learning the whole lot it was still hard to remember. but the kaplan notes are very high yield and enough for us for the exam. also immuno happens to be one of the least tested subjects in the real exam. (only 10% if im not mistaken). what u wanna do is concentrate on the famous diseases like NADPH deficiency, beta-aggammaglobulinemia, etc. i have attached flashcards (look for immunology flashcards) that combines kaplan and FA. A lot of our friends here have mentioned that the kaplan videos for micro (& immuno) is useless so u can skip that and spend more time understanding immuno and memorizing the FA part for immuno.

good luck!:)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Step 1 -- Read Wikipedia page on Immunology
Step 2 -- Read First Aid Immunology Chapter
Step 3 -- Memorize Cytokines & Inflammatory Molecules (
)
Step 4 -- Learn Drugs
Step 5 -- Repeat

1 - 7 of 7 Posts