USMLE Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys
just thinking
any implications if u score below the national average which is 237 currently?should one forget about matching?sincere advice needed
thanks all

·
Registered
65 Posts
I am not sure But I think if u avoid competitive specialties u will be fine stick with FM for instance but if u do USCEs research and publication u may get back to the competition then specially if u r a fresh graduate:eek:

·
Banned
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no not competitve specialties
Peds,IM,FM
I mean scores that are >230 but below the 237 current national average....not low scores

·
Registered
109 Posts
If you score below the national average in any USMLE exam, you wont even be looked it.

That is the reality without prematch.

·
Banned
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
this makes me sad
i scored 250 and 253 scores on uwsa and nbme4
but ended up with 231 on Step 2 CK
:(

·
Registered
225 Posts
my exam was v hard.....nothing like uwsa or nbme
that is life
thanks for replying:)
Man most people I know who are doing their interviews at the moment (IM/peds) scored between 230-250, so do not worry, one of them scored ~230 in CK and got 2 interviews up to 15/Oct (the last I heard from him, the 1st month of the season) ! So don't worry, pass CS and then everything can happen !

·
Registered
763 Posts
What's the average score for step 1 ?
i have got report 1 month ago on step 1 average score was 224 for us students and 222 for canadians.

Reactions: blade

·
Registered
452 Posts
my exam was v hard.....nothing like uwsa or nbme
that is life
thanks for replying:)
A lot of factors are important...visa status, usmle scores, years since graduation, USCE....score is important but is not the end all be all...dont let douchebags like that one guy in this thread scare you

Family med, Psych, PMR....all have average match scores not even above 210 so how is that guy gonna say that if you don't get at least the mean on any step score you won't even be looked at? LOL its just people trying to scare others

Don't worry you'll be fine

·
Registered
169 Posts
A lot of factors are important...visa status, usmle scores, years since graduation, USCE....score is important but is not the end all be all...dont let douchebags like that one guy in this thread scare you

Family med, Psych, PMR....all have average match scores not even above 210 so how is that guy gonna say that if you don't get at least the mean on any step score you won't even be looked at? LOL its just people trying to scare others

Don't worry you'll be fine
100% agree, hate the scare tactics by others. Everyone on this web site should be positive and try to help others. I have seen a bunch of friends american grads and carib grads with less then the national averages match into some really great programs. Most of all work hard, believe in yourself, and just get your foot in the door for those interviews and you will end up in a good position. Really don't like the negativity on this site when I see it. Sorry for the rant.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Fellas Just ignore posts that state that we have to score 708967685865 on CK.

Do your best _ take Selfassesment - Sit for Exam.

i talked to the IM programm director of respected university and he said that they mostly do not pay attention to CK scores(this doesn't mean that they ignore it). as he said they know that clinical subjects are not taught as well as basic sciences in many non-us/canadian med.scholls. so the CK score is not the best indicator of ones clinical knowledge.

good luck

1 - 14 of 14 Posts