USMLE Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this annoying habit of highlighting my whole FA and other texts flourescent green; if the points are remotely important. Now about to start second read, and im wondering how i highlight important points among the sea of flourescent green books. I dont want to highlight anymore.

SO what do you guys do? Use highlighters, red/green pens, special color pens? anything?

Do have a system that you prefer? like color coded?

I know, each person has his own, but i could develop my own system from helpful comments if any.

Thanks

· Registered
1,683 Posts
My first aid is a mess! (in a good way). My FA is 2009 edition but has everything from 2010 and 2011 editions and my notes on top of it! :eek: I don't think anyone else can read it other than me :))

To answer your question -

I highlight like a maniac! Specially since everything in first aid is "High Yield".
In my first read, I used a fluorescent highlighter as well.
In my second read, I switched to underlining with a blue pen.
In my 3rd read, I switched to a black pen and used double underlines for very very important stuff.
Now while watching DIT, I'm putting little stars/asterix's next to the stuff that is said in the videos.

This way, by the end of it, when I do my final read ... whatever stuff has the highlight + blue underline + black underline + a star next to it .. I'll know that that sh!t is SUPER MEGA ULTRA HIGHYIELD.

:D:))

(on a different thought; what has life come to ?! Since when is highlighting and underlining so exciting ?!) :toosad::mad:

· Registered
456 Posts
I use different colored pens like i underline the most critical point with red and if some point is correlated with another topic on some other page or book, i mark n write reference with green pen. Then if a point has a question based on it in Uworld , i write Q with a red pen over there. Also black n blue ink to put annotations. I highlighted a lot earlier but found that it becomes difficult on subsequent reads because i was missing non-highlighted points. Now i highlight only the annotations that i put.

· Registered
21 Posts
ive seen that ppl who do random crazy **** to their books remember it the best. im clinical with my highlighting, but ive noticed that if u like put the randomest colors/highlights/stars on a page u remember stuff on it better.

anyway to answer the original question, after alot of working with these things ive realized that u shud highlight with 3 colors, and never change those three colors from book to book, then in subsequent reads, put a STAR next to an important para or point, or with a pencil make a BOX around a key word.

FA pages have good oil content, and take lead based pencils really well so u can make boxes on top of the highlights.

so its like this for me
Yellow Highlighter > Green > Orange > BOX > STAR

PS love the goljan quote, he is absolutely right. i think highlighting wud work well in Kaplans and the others, not FA which is a review of the review books

1 - 11 of 11 Posts