USMLE Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
During a fast, a brief phase of intense sequential contractions begins in the stomach and gradually migrates to the ileum. Release of which of the following intestinal hormones is most likely responsible for this observed effect?

A. Cholecystokinin
B. Gastrin
C. Gastrin-releasing peptide
D. Motilin
E. Secretin
F. Somatostatin

·
Registered
120 Posts
u re wrong dude.
Motilin is a hormone that regulates the migrating myoelectric complex, a series of contractions that occur during fasting, clearing the stomach and small intestine of any residual food.So ,yeah d is the correct answer
Hey thanks for the clarification, I always thought that motilin release was in between meals. Can you please explain the physiology of the motilin release in the case of fast.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey thanks for the clarification, I always thought that motilin release was in between meals. Can you please explain the physiology of the motilin release in the case of fast.
Here is an explanation from kaplan qbank.i put it on my notes cuz i found it pretty interesting
Motilin is a hormone released by the small intestine during the fasting state. Its waxing and waning blood levels correlate with the initiation and ending of migrating motor complexes (MMC).
Furthermore, injection of motilin has been shown to evoke MMC activity. The MMC typically begins in the stomach, and over a 90-120 minute period, migrates to the ileum, where it dies out. As one complex dies out in the ileum, another complex begins in the stomach provided the fasting state continues. Eating a meal interrupts the MMC activity

·
Registered
919 Posts
Here is an explanation from kaplan qbank.i put it on my notes cuz i found it pretty interesting
Motilin is a hormone released by the small intestine during the fasting state. Its waxing and waning blood levels correlate with the initiation and ending of migrating motor complexes (MMC).
Furthermore, injection of motilin has been shown to evoke MMC activity. The MMC typically begins in the stomach, and over a 90-120 minute period, migrates to the ileum, where it dies out. As one complex dies out in the ileum, another complex begins in the stomach provided the fasting state continues. Eating a meal interrupts the MMC activity
oh yes it makes sense. thank u! which is y when u eat motilin is not released if not yr food is passed over quickly (dumping syndrome) before it gets to be digested. so motilin takes a while to be released once u have stopped eating. ryte?:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.