USMLE Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am an IMG from Mumbai India.

I want to specialize in Internal Medicine. I was wondering if an elective /externship is ABSOLUTELY essential??
In the sense, has any IMG got an Int. Med seat through only their USMLE scores? if yes, then what's the score range?

Also, I was thinking of working as a resident in the UK for some time before applying for admissions in the US. My idea is that it would look good on the resume as it would tell them that I've had western world experience in practicing medicine. I'm thinking about this because I'll get paid in the UK as opposed to spending for clinical experience in the US.

Can the UK experience be used as an alternative to US clinical experience? Will I be at the same level as other IMGs who've had some US clinical experience?

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
US experience is better than UK experience

UK experience is appreciated somewhat here in the US but not too much, north eastern states do respect it but other states not much.

If you don't do USCE and if you don't have US LoRs then you won't compete with the thousands of IMGs who are doing and getting these, your UK experience is certainly less valued than any US experience.

So you have to weigh the balance and see which one is a good idea for you.

·
Registered
752 Posts
USCE is not a must, especially for less competitive fields. I've known many people who matched in IM without having USCE. But their scores were over 95, many with 99 even.

I don't think any clinical experience outside the US would be valid in America. It's the USCE that they want :)

USCE is very important for IMGs in helping them understand and integrate in the US medical system. This is particularly useful for the CS exam which is based on communication and interpersonal skills in the first place.

·
Registered
18 Posts
how much USCE can be enough for Family medicine? 1 month or 2 months?? should i do 2 months even if it is toooo costly for me? i am thinking of just 1 month?? plz share ur views.thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
Could you tell me please how can I get externship? I started to look for observeship and realized that it is very difficult to find even observeship. Please any idea

1 - 6 of 6 Posts