USMLE Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried many times to contact doctors in USA for cardiology elective, but no one gave me yes. I found an electrophysiologist who is very cooperative to make an elective with him in a very big name university
Is Electrophysiology elective considered as valuable as cardiology elective?Does electrophysiology elective help me much in internal medicine matching??

Or I have to do other internal medicine electives in GI & nephrology, I found many doctors in these fields in the same university which is very big name!

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Do it

This is exactly what happened with my friend, what a co-incident!!

He was able to get electophysiology elective for 6 weeks then in the year after it he was matched in the same university. The reason was not the elective but the reason was he made very good relation with the program director!

Go do it ;)

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx for reply,
but my question still not answered yet; does electrophysiology elective help me in internal medicine elective as cardiology elective does?

·
Ex-USMLE Forums Staff
753 Posts
Cardiology is better but ....

Thanx for reply,
but my question still not answered yet; does electrophysiology elective help me in internal medicine elective as cardiology elective does?
Certainly not. Cardiology elective is of course far more valuable than an electrophysiology elective.

However, as Ayshee pointed out, there are several advantages of doing any elective like making connections which is extremely valuable later on when you apply for the match.

Furthermore, the same electrophysiology doctor certainly has nice connections with cardiologist and can get you into cardiology electives later on if he/she likes you and wanted to help.

Bottom line, if you are not getting a cardiology elective but you are getting electrophysiology elective then go for it, it's certainly better than nothing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts