USMLE Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could someone here please explain the concept of high yield? Has there been a study done on what constitutes high yield and what doesn't, and how high of a score could I expect to get from studying just high yield information? Thanks so much in advance!

·
Registered
625 Posts
You'll hear people say High Yield a lot with respect to various resources you come across during your USMLE prep. Usually most professors - Goljan, Kaplan Profs and DIT argue that a thing is high yield based on what students tell them after they write their step. That is how something is deemed high yield or not. To my knowledge other than the NBME themselves, nobody knows exactly what is and is not high yield but First Aid / Kaplan etc.. take a best guess and that is what our study material is modified based on year after year.

Goljan also says that recent articles in major journals may form the basis of some of the harder questions, but thats alll I know.

·
Banned
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So in essence, would it be fair to say that high yield gets you around 200-220 avg.
moderate yield 230-250
low yield >250?

·
Registered
625 Posts
I'm not entirely sure it works like that. Remember that high scorers on the USMLE have a stronger grasp of high yield concepts rather than a broader grasp of all the high yield plus more random details.

The Step 1's stated goal is to test your understanding of high yield concepts in basic sciences. Memorizing more and more lower yield material would seem to run counter to that. That being said, they do test minutiae sometimes so the more you know the better. Just not at the expense of losing proper understanding of high yield material.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Stop

Could someone here please explain the concept of high yield? Has there been a study done on what constitutes high yield and what doesn't, and how high of a score could I expect to get from studying just high yield information? Thanks so much in advance!
You should never read anything other than high yield.
If you start reading everything you will get lost and you will definitely fail the exam.
Studying the high yield material alone is a huge task and nobody in the world can memorize it all.
Take this seriously, you will fail if you start reading non high yield info.

·
Registered
195 Posts
As has been said USMLE is all about studyin smart rather than just hard! You should always master your high yield knowledge so its on your finger tips and you can apply that as well. Low yield perhaps distinguishes candidates who get extraordinary scores like 250-260 or even more. But on a good day you can always get that score doing just the high yield stuff.
So in a nut shell you must remain focused and concentrate more on the high yiled info. And by high yield info we usually refer to all that is covered in recommended books like Kaplan, First Aid, High Yield, Brs and etc. Different combinations for different subjects!

Hope that helps!

·
Banned
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Recommended Combination

Could you perhaps list your recommended combination for all the dozen subjects or so that are going to be covered on the exam? Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
highyeild stuff

Hi Dr Sidd that was some good advice earlier, I just wanted to know your opinion regarding this matter: while preping for the MLE about 75-80% of the efforts should be invested on the 3 'P's but what approximate percentage level would you put on other subjects like Microbio and biochem, or do you think that spending 75-80% of the prep time on the 3 'P's is a bit too much?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts