USMLE Forums banner

Is Kaplan Qbook a must have?

• Yes, [URL=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1609782240/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=usmleforums_vs-20&

Votes: 13 18.8%
  • Maybe, if you have time to do it

Votes: 20 29.0%
  • No, [URL=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1609782240/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=usmleforums_vs-20&l

Votes: 38 55.1%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
I have the Kaplan Qbook but I also have other question sources so I would appreciate some feedback on whether it's worth it to do these questions if I find myself in a time crunch. Also, does anyone have an index of the Qbook by systems, for example, what questions in the Pathology test are renal, cardiovascular, etc? I would really appreciate your help!
Thank you :p

Similar poll about Kaplan Step 2 CK Book here
http://www.usmle-forums.com/usmle-step-2-ck-forum/9135-kaplan-step-2-ck-qbook-must-read.html

-
-

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
You can review the notes with it

If you are reading Kaplan Notes then the best way to make use of the book is by reviewing the notes one by one.
For example when you finish the anatomy book you do the two anatomy blocks of the Qbook and so on with the other subjects.
However, if you are short of time then I suggest you skip it and do the Kaplan Qbank in stead.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
don't waste your time

Do not waste your time with it. Do the Kaplan Qbank. In the Qbook you cannot make timed blocks and you cannot sector the questions as your requested by systems (renal, cardiac, ..etc) but in the qbank you can do that.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your feedback YoramFishke and GNND85. Jut to clarify, I don't have Kaplan Qbank or any Qbank as yet, I'm waiting until closer to my test date to get one (probably get one in January). I want to do some prep along with my classes this fall, but my classes are arranged by systems so I was thinking having questions by systems would be nice. Do you have any suggestions for other question sources I can use in the meantime that's not as pricy as a Qbank?

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Get your USMLE Consult

Thanks for your feedback YoramFishke and GNND85. Jut to clarify, I don't have Kaplan Qbank or any Qbank as yet, I'm waiting until closer to my test date to get one (probably get one in January). I want to do some prep along with my classes this fall, but my classes are arranged by systems so I was thinking having questions by systems would be nice. Do you have any suggestions for other question sources I can use in the meantime that's not as pricy as a Qbank?
Yes, I have a suggestion for you.
Keep posting in this USMLE Step 1 Forum until the end of August and the admins will send you one month of USMLE Consult free subscription which is a great qbank written by Edward Goljan, see the details here http://www.usmle-forums.com/monthly-contest.php

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
They are different

Are the questions in the Qbook taken directly from the Qbank or are they different?
they are different.
The Qbook is not updated.
The Qbank is frequently updated and it includes new concepts and styles that reflect the recent changes to the exam.
The Qbook is just a silly practice book that you can play with while reading the notes but nothing serious.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have the Kaplan Qbook, but I also have other question sources so I would appreciate some feedback on whether it's worth it to do these questions if I find myself in a time crunch. Also, does anyone have an index of the Qbook by systems, for example, what questions in the Pathology test are renal, cardiovascular, etc? I would really appreciate your help!
Thank you :p
In my opinion it is good secondary source. Of course internet/computer based Q&A is easier and I wouldn't but this ahead of them, but if you are unable to access online qbanks it is good to have at least one Qbook.

And otherwise. Sometimes you just cannot watch the screen more and then it is good to have book. Questions are good but lack of pictures and else multimedia. So if you can spare I would suggest that you buy it.

·
Registered
653 Posts
what about if u r reading for the first time and u want to test yourself and consolidate your info.. is the qbank the answer or the qbook ok ?

·
Registered
114 Posts
what about if u r reading for the first time and u want to test yourself and consolidate your info.. is the qbank the answer or the qbook ok ?
Qbook is little bit difficult and if you can afford for example USMLE consult (I did 1 month) and I was amazed how easy it was. But if you prefer book version it's ok for testing purposes (not solely but I have exactly used it as you mentioned).

·
Registered
23 Posts
q book

is the kaplan qbook that comes with the kaplan subjects books a good tool for assessment for the exam?

how much percentage should one score on each of the qbook subject tests to have a mastery of the subjects...?

thank you...

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
No it is not a good assessement tool.
But a nice study helper cuz questions are sorted subject-wise

·
Registered
34 Posts
In terms of difficulty, are the kaplan Qbook questions the same or similar to QBank?

I understand its not like the actual test because its subject order, not timed, in a book (vs computer screen), etc. My question is regarding its difficulty only.

·
Registered
20 Posts
old edition

what about reviewing kaplan Qbook 2004? at the end it is not as important as Qbank! Of course I prefer Qbank but right now i am studying kaplan lecture notes and it's better take a test of the same serie. The point is that i don't want to buy the new one if after all is not worthy. well, what do you think? :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
558 Posts
what about reviewing kaplan Qbook 2004? at the end it is not as important as Qbank! Of course I prefer Qbank but right now i am studying kaplan lecture notes and it's better take a test of the same serie. The point is that i don't want to buy the new one if after all is not worthy. well, what do you think? :confused: :confused: :confused:
The kaplan QBook has NOT changed in the newest edition. They tell you that on the amazon reviews. so go ahead and use your QBook from 2004!

Reactions: 32722
1 - 19 of 19 Posts