USMLE Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is TB a reportable dis?
pt diagnosed with Tb ,asks you to keep it confidential .your response?

i marked not report if he wears mask.that was wrong.

another option-not report if he agrees to isolate ...is this correct?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Fischer's 100 cases book,p 47-the illnesses that are always reportable include AIDS,SYPHILIS,TUBERCULOSIS,GONORRHEA,MEASLES,MUMPS,RUBELLA,PERTUSSIS .partner notification exists for aids,syphilis,gonorrhea an TB.in addition health department can incarcerate patients with tuberculosis .partner notification and reportable illnesses are an example of one of the few times that patient's autonomy can be superseded because of necessity of protecting others.MY RIGHT OF AUTONOMY ENDS WHERE YOUR SAFETY BEGINS.patients with tuberculosis should be isolated for about 2 weeks-amount of time that it takes for sputum to become negative for acid-fast bacilli . if patient refuses to take antituberculosis therapy,physician have the option of incarcerating patient,this is only for those who still have positive stains of their sputum for acid-fast bacilli. you can not force-feed tuberculosis medications but you can prevent people from walking at their leisure in the community to spread disease.incarceration is last resort and is only used after all other options have been exhausted in terms of having discussions with the patient and offering directly observed therapy at home

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ya i actually read that after posting this on the site.there is also a question later which actually kind of confused me ,gave an impression that Tb is not reporatble.so i marked that on NBME .but later read in the text of the same 100 cases buk that is is reportable.

tahnks anyways

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.