USMLE Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My name is zak hindi , I am a fourth year old medical student in Jordan university in Amman

Recently, I bought USMLE step1 books (micro:made rediculously simlpe,pharma:kaplan, patho:crash course anatomy :high yield physio:costanzo and first aid)

now my first question is :are the mentioned books good enough?

Second : AS for embryo, histo, biochem can i rely on first aid bcz i've seen
their books and they made me frustrated?

and thank u

·
Registered
57 Posts
My humble opinion

Hi there, first of all let me wish you best of luck in your Steps and medical education :) and second, the books you named are pretty much the best in their field which im sure you could confirm through checking the polls the people had on this forum although you might want to consider adding a pathology book to your personal recipe, since it's one the major subjects on the test! From what i heard from many friends, FA biochem pretty much sums up what you need to know about that branch but I couldn't say with certainty that applies to Histo/Embryo.

Good luck and keep posting :D

Reactions: Mondoshawan

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hey there Zak!

I'm a third year and trying to start my USMLE prep from now as well.

For the books, I second Drothman; you can check the polls for the best books, there's one for each subject. That's what I did. I'd also suggest you to view this thread: http://www.usmle-forums.com/usmle-s.../786-usmle-step-1-preparation-books-plan.html A very good post by the ever so helpful Step Taker :)

Here's a list of the books I'm using and I'd also take this chance to ask whether the books I use are okay too :eek:
Anatomy, Neuroanatomy, Histology, Molecular & Cell Biology, Embryology: High Yield (here I'm a little worried as FA suggests not too use the same series for many subjects; I also have BRS Gross Anatomy but preffered High Yield better)
Physiology:BRS Physiology
Microbiology: Clinical Microbiology Made Ridiculously Simple
Pathology: Rapid Review Pathology
Biochemistry, Immunology: Kaplan
Pharmacology: Katzung & Trevor's (Board Review & Examination)
Biostatistics: High Yield (again!)
Behavioral Science: BRS Behavioral Science

And ofcourse FA is there too!

Its pretty much all the highest voted books in the polls. I'd also like to ask the others, I saw in the polls Rapid Review is voted high for Biochem, is it essential or can I just rely on Kaplan?

Hope this helps Zak, and all the best wishes for you USMLE journey!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
gee, thanks guys (drothman2010 and Jeesan)

you really helped me out

i checked out the thread about preparation

and i looked at the patho rapid review(but guys is it worth it to spend alot of time on 650 pages while i can read crash course which is only 330 pages?)dont get me wrong but i already started reading crash course

should i buy a new source or just stick with it?

i really want to get a great mark and dont want to make a mistake that i would regret it later

and thank you again

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey guys,
its me again

i noticed that you forgot to mention anything about psychiatry

is FA good enough for it?

·
Registered
70 Posts
You're welcome, that's what we're here for.

I haven't read crash course so I can't comment on it but the thing is Goljan is generally accepted to be the standard & most-used book by both US students and IMGs. That doesn't necessarily mean its the best book for Patho out there so you can compare both & see which one suits you the best & provides all the high yield required info.

And for Psychiatry, as far as I know its tested in Step 2 CK. Is it Behavioral Sciences you're trying to refer to, cause that's the subject that has a good deal of psychology?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks jeesan

I read FA and i noticed that they added psychiatry as a subject other than behavioural sciences and they put a whole section for psychiatry

so im a little bit confused ...... can anyone confirm?

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
thanks jeesan

I read FA and i noticed that they added psychiatry as a subject other than behavioural sciences and they put a whole section for psychiatry

so im a little bit confused ...... can anyone confirm?
Behavior science will include topics from psychiatry. A separate psych. has not been added. Again only basic science concepts are tested.

Anatomy, Physiology, Biochemistry, Embryology, Histology, Pathology, Pharmacology, Microbiology & Behavioral Sciences.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts