USMLE Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I just received my step 1 score report and it is 259.
I feel a bit disheartened though!
I know it's an OK score (1.45 STD above the current mean which is roughly on the 93 percentile), but I was hoping to be in the 260s and with so many people with great scores and being an older IMG, I'm not sure about the prospect of getting a match with this score.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, thanks for the replies.
I understand how you feel, but honestly 230 is the mean and 20 is STD.
A score like 259 is at 93 percentile. That means that 7% of examinees score better.
It's probably enough for less competitive residencies, but absolutely not enough for competitive ones.
Anyway, your feedbacks made me feel better.
Thanks for that.
I'll be happy to share my exam experience or answer questions if you find it useful

·
Registered
305 Posts
i generally never lose my cool in this forum but posts like these do.....u have got a really good score...but wateva be ur score uimgs do not get radiology... srry abt that....bt u can get a few competitive residencies is wat i feel provided u get a similar step 2 score nd USCEs.....
nd btw i really thnku must knw who s being sarcastic to u...stop thanking them :p

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
and btw the old scoring system, wich wasthe 2 digit number, is not valid nw....the 3 digit s all that matters
The former 2 digit score was NOT a percentile, it was something made up & as you mentioned not in use any more.
I calculated the percentile myself based on the mean and STD which was in my report and it's pretty accurate.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i generally never lose my cool in this forum but posts like these do.....u have got a really good score...but wateva be ur score uimgs do not get radiology... srry abt that....bt u can get a few competitive residencies is wat i feel provided u get a similar step 2 score nd USCEs.....
nd btw i really thnku must knw who s being sarcastic to u...stop thanking them :p
From personal experience I know quite a few IMGs that did match in Radiology or other competitive specialties having great scores. So, no radiology is not closed to IMGs. If you have a high enough score and good USCE it's possible.
The reason IMGs don't get into competetive positions is that they don't have the connections and generally score lower than fresh US grads (225 vs 230 mean).
and BTW, I know they are sarcastic, but I thank them anyway because their comment made me feel better. I don't get offended easily. If you are offended by sarcastic comments you shouldn't be on these forums.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Radiology diagnostic one is not that much competitive now, even I know of people who got into university programs with step 1 in 240s. You can probe into the latest nrmp match data too. Same is with pathology. But if you are talking about onco and neuro radiology then they are pretty competitive. And scores are one part of application. There are several other factors too. Less and less number of amgs are opting for it now. Same goes with anesthesiology. You can look into the statistics

·
Registered
11 Posts
super like

i think even 300 is not sufficient
im sick of such posts

anybody preparing for usmle knws what a good score is... so please dont post such stuff and make others feel worthless
That was rude. Why are you such a hater? if you cannot understand his condition or say anything positive then at least dont spread hate! no body hates on your daily journals so if one of us isnt sure or is doubtful about their score the last thing u should do is insult and make fun.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts