USMLE Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many use the Kaplan's Lecture Notes. There are DVDs that accompany this series, and are highly recommended.

I would just like to know 2 things:

1 - Just how essential is it to supplement the books with the DVDs?

2 - How much of a time commitment are these DVDs i.e. how many hours of video per book?

I would really appreciate anyone with experience sharing it with us. Thanks.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I faced the same question exactly when I started
Here's the best advise for you

For Anatomy, Biochemistry, and Microbiology you don't need to see the vids, the books are sufficient.
For pharmacology see Lionel Raymon because he's a great lecturer
For pathology see John Barone not becasue he's a good lecturer but because he will show histopath slides that are not there in the book
For physiology see Robert Dunn not Wazir Kudrath (this post said same)
For Behavior you have to listen to Steven Daugherty, as he will make you understand everything

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
For me
I would not understand the books without lectures
if you are like me, then you must see the lectures

best approach
see the lecture of the specific chapter then read the chapter, don't do the reverse

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
OK Waseem and Indrag answered your first question
Here am answering your second question

Total number of hours for the DVD lecture is 120 hours

Keep in mind that you have to double the time at least because you will often pause to write your notes and sometimes your rewind if there's something that you did not understand

So let's say you need 250 hours of Videos! that's over a complete month of full time studying!

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
You have to see the videos

None of my friends has ever though of skipping the lectures, they are essential and you have to see them all.
In fact, some of my friends have seen the lectures twice to have a good grasp of the concepts and materials.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all for replying, I got good answers to my Qs.

The consensus appears to be that the DVDs are essential to understanding the books, so I'll go with that.

EDIT:

DVDs from which year should I buy? Does it really not make a difference, or is there a problem of content and coordination if I buy the older DVDs? I can't seem to find the recent DVDs anywhere...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts