USMLE Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do u think it's sufficient by watching Kaplan video lectures + Goljan audios + and additional question banks .

Do I need any additional books written by diff authors for step 1 preparation

·
Registered
752 Posts
I think it's not about the books, nor the quantity of stuff you read. I know a lot of people who did only Kaplan + FA + Kaplan or UW Qbank and got 99. It's how you understand the concepts and integrate the information.

What I really, highly, wholeheartedly recommend is First Aid. And I can tell you with some certainty that Kaplan + FA for Pathology is enough; Goljan is not necessary.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I think it's not about the books, nor the quantity of stuff you read. I know a lot of people who did only Kaplan + FA + Kaplan or UW Qbank and got 99. It's how you understand the concepts and integrate the information.

What I really, highly, wholeheartedly recommend is First Aid. And I can tell you with some certainty that Kaplan + FA for Pathology is enough; Goljan is not necessary.
I agree with Haisook on the FA, it is a highly recommended Power review material, but if nothing else goljan audios would help also, he links everything so well, I'd definitely recommend goljan audios, even though his book is overkill, but the least you should do is go through his audios, they'll set the base from the onset, general path things that he'll refer to in the systemic, so its really good for integration of material, esp when he stresses on the physio, biochem, genetics, pharm links as well!

·
Registered
625 Posts
Agreed - it really depends on where you are. I was quite weak in a lot of concepts and study partners and great professors after hours at school and at Kaplan helped me out immensely but you could probably achieve the same with study partners or such. I'd also recommend HY Neuro and BRS Physio - both good books to add to your armada.

·
Registered
373 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Do u think it's sufficient by watching Kaplan video lectures + Goljan audios + and additional question banks .

Do I need any additional books written by diff authors for step 1 preparation
One of the most often repeated advices of the top scorers has been keep your sources minimal and questions practice maximal, the sources you mention are time tested ones and have been successful. Revise it and see how you do on the question banks and you will get an idea of your knowledge.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts