USMLE Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, Im an IMG, about to take step 1 in 29 days to be precise. I need some recommendations on what to do in these final days. I'm not getting the best scores in the different assessments I have done so far, for example uwsa 1 did it about 2 weeks ago, got a 205 (to be honest I found this test incredibly challenging), nbme 7, 3 days later, got a 202. My target score is somewhere in the 220-240 range.

What really scares me is that I understand most concepts and have pretty fair knowledge of all the testable subjects (except some biostats, biochem and genetics which I'm really having a hard time with) but everytime I do a block of questions, a great percentage of the correct answers I get is not because I know them by heart, it is simply because I find that certain answer more logical, like a gut feeling: "I've read this before, not sure if it is correct, but option B sounds more logical, although it could be D". I always get stuck in that answering routine. Not sure if this is normal behavior in everybody taking these tests.

Currently just reading FA with DIT (I use DIT only for the sake of having an organized schedule) and doing uworld (2nd run) by systems everytime I finish every system of FA. Read most of Kaplan once, and saw most of the Pathoma videos.

So, what would you guys recommend for me to raise those scores to the 220-240 range in the time I have left?

I thank you all beforehand for your help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the same situation like your's. What helps is doing questions revise them, and review FA, that way you should nail down your knowledge. Remember that question banks are more a study tool, do NBME so you can know your weakness areas. Be patient and keep studying everyday and i'm sure you will be fine, be always positive!, just my humble opinion...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey I m in the same shoes as you are. I have one month left for my exam and I just did uwsa 1 and i didnt score good. I m still 15-20 points below my target(240) score. I did uworld, Kln notes, DIT and FA. I m not sure what more to do and how to increase my score? :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Dr. Hopeful just said it. Redo your Uworld along with a very thorough review of FA.
Always think about it this way. Every 2 weeks you study your score goes up by 7 points +-2.
Do an NBME 10 days before your exam, if you still couldn't reach your goal, then you might have to postpone and do alittle bit of Rex or Kapan Qbank for 2 weeks along with your FA.

·
Registered
18 Posts
@ spasemaster

Thank you so much for the suggestion and help. Ill redo FA and uworld n will keep my fingers crossed hoping to improve 7 points every 10 days :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
me too

m also struggling with the same issue and i give up. i didnt study since my last nbme last month. scared n disheartened. please help

·
Registered
145 Posts
m also struggling with the same issue and i give up. i didnt study since my last nbme last month. scared n disheartened. please help
Find a serious Study Partner, that should solve it.
Check if Dr. Hopeful is looking for a study partner :eek:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts