USMLE Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A 20 months old is brought by his mother who said this "I don't understand, his 4 year old sister were talking sentences by this age". The boy is able to make some sounds spontaneously such as B and T but he seems slow in imitating words said by his mom. He's active, able to run few steps, and can do puzzles. His height and weight at the 60th percentile and his head circumference at the 75th percentile. He's friendly, cooperative, and has good eye contact. Which of the following is the most appropriate initial statement by the physician?

A- I recommend to do a hearing assessment soon.
B- I wouldn't worry about him, boys talk later than girls usually.
C- I will schedule him for MRI of the brain to exclude hydrocephalus.
D- You should have him seen by a child psychiatrist for possible autistic disorder.
E- Do not talk to him often and present things for him only when he asks for them.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Answer is A

The correct answer is hearing assessment because this child is clearly having delayed language development. The first thing you exclude is hearing impairment in these children.
He's not autistic because he's friendly and maintaining eye contact.
There's nothing that points that he could be having hydropcephalus.
Choice E is obviously not the proper way to raise the developmental skills of children.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I think the answer is B because if he were deaf, the parents would see signs earlier.
a deaf child would appear somewhat in their own world due to hearing difficulties. the other options are just not right because everythign else seems ok just the language development. speech therapy a age 2 can help with children who still can't utter at least 200 words.

and the milestones doesnt have to be exactly what the theory says. it can vary from child to child. and boys are generally slower at first but pick up later heading faster than girls (in terms of height):):)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts