USMLE Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Clinical diseases that causes chronic liver disease; liver biopsy is the most accurate test except in one of these diseases ... which it is ?? What is the most accurate test for that ?? How can it cause steatorrhea ??

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Disagree with your post

That's not the way questions are going to be seen in the exam.

Anyway, the disease is Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis. and I argue with Kaplan Notes here. It's not a liver disease. It's a disease of the biliary tree.

In addition there are liver diseases in which you confirm the diagnosis without liver biopsy. Take Hepatitis A for example, nobody has ever done a liver biopsy for that :p

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes , ofcourse not , in exam question will ask about next appropriate management ... Beside that my ques was a bit incorrect .... i changed it .......
Kaplan note said CHRONIC LIVER DISEASE in which biopsy is not accurate .... And PSC causes liver cirrhosis so its one of the cause of cirrhosis .... In all disease that causes cirrhosis biopsy is the most accurate test , except PSC .....
Hepatitis A do not cause chronic liver disease , so kaplan notes are okhe .........

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
That's not the way questions are going to be seen in the exam.

Anyway, the disease is Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis. and I argue with Kaplan Notes here. It's not a liver disease. It's a disease of the biliary tree.

In addition there are liver diseases in which you confirm the diagnosis without liver biopsy. Take Hepatitis A for example, nobody has ever done a liver biopsy for that :p
Yeah. You are right :p

·
Registered
150 Posts
yes the answer is primary sclerosing cholangitis..
and about the steatorrhea??
i feels its because of impaired fat digestion since bile is essential for emulsification of fat..and since there is impairment in this process it consequently gives rise to steatorrhea..

·
Registered
472 Posts
PSC will cause steatorrhea because bile secreted by the hepatocytes will not be efficiently transported because of the sclerosed biliary tree.....so the pt. will have steatorhea.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts