USMLE Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone please tell me how many LORS do i need if applying for IM/FM?
Im really confused about waved/unwaved LORS, i have one US LOR from a clinical elective 3 years back but i already have it in my hand. Should i upload it or request them for a new LOR even though its been so long, im not sure if they even remember me cuz i have been in my home country the whole time. Please help.

·
Vendor
271 Posts
When applying to programs through ERAS you are allowed to assign a minimum of 3 LoRs and a maximum of 4 to each program.

Waived letters tend to look better to programs because it shows you have confidence in what the writer said about you. However, they are also aware that many IMGs are bringing letters from their home countries and cannot get them waived.

The best LoRs are:
1. Recent
2. From US clinical experience
3. Specialty specific

If you could get more fresh LoRs it would be best. If you are worried they've forgotten you, set up a meeting face to face, through Skype or at least the phone to review who you are, what you've accomplished and what specialty you're interested in.

-Olivia
Match A Resident Support

·
Registered
92 Posts
Is it true that attendings like to upload their LORs at the last possible moment?

I was promised 4 LOR, 2 of them were uploaded pretty quickly but the last 2 I haven't heard anything from, and one of them is from the PD itself, so I'm really stressed out about it. :eek:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts