USMLE Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellow steppers :)

As an IMG coping with the step1 prepare, these days I am going to finish my first read of review books (KLN,Goljan,BRS,CMMRS),which took me almost 8 months due to poor basic science knowledge and simultaneous work as a resident in my country. Even if my 1st read was comprehensive, I don't know for sure whether it's prefferable to:
Study the subjects once more + kaplan qbank +FA
then FA+UWorld and finally the actual exam

OR

Skip the 2nd read, but study FA+KLN QBANK, FA+ UWORLD and then the actual exam

thanks in advance

·
Registered
242 Posts
Ayaz Mahmood said:
Myth number 4: First read, Second read, third read, fourth read, Step1

Verdict: This depends!

Explanation: Remember everyone has his own way of studying. This sequential method typically follows the Kaplan series and has little significant benefit. It is very rigid and cannot be modified. A lot of people asked me repeatedly how many reads I have done. My answer was always the same: is the number of reads the method to use to judge someone's preparation? That's the purpose of NBME sample assessment. Don't let the "number of reads" fool you. Some people study fast and they find that spending little time on everything gives them sufficient time to revise; others find the opposite to be true. This means a person who has done 2 reads may be doing just about as good as another who has done 7 reads. Besides some subjects need more reads than others; pharmacology needs more commitment than does anatomy.

Confused? I am too! When you try and follow "number of reads" rule, you'd end up even more confused. Solution? Try and find your own best method. If you get a good NBME score, this means you're doing fine. For more info on NBME, read on.
From anyview point when someone feels lost I think the best thing is to take a NBME and see where you stand after the first read and if you get poor score you can go for a second read associated with fa but if you get 210+ you can definitely start practicing KAP Qbank and fa with Uworld

So it all depends if I were you and if I was calm like now which is highly not likely :p I would had revised FA once full with an offline qbank take a NBME and then decide...if your first read was comprehensive enough dont waste time with 10x more reads instead focus on the questions and memorization

Btw I quoted Ayaz Mahmood in the first paragraph his experience can be found here
Code:
http://www.umartariq.com/node/162
Best of Luck :cool:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts