USMLE Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone again
I am an IGM.
I have 78 on Step 1, 78 Step 2 on second attempt and passed CS the first time.
I haven't had any clinical experience in the States, my graduation year was 2001, ever since I have done my PhD and doing last year in my residency here in Nephrology, in Italy.
I have three American LORs...
I am applying to every residency possible, but I am starting to think that even if I can get some clinical experience in the States, my grades will not go up and my grad year will get older and older...
What you guys think?
Thank you so much

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
I can see that you are a nephrologist and for sure you want to do Internal Medicine in US. I think your chances are low. But if you want to switch to Psychiatry or Family Medicine then perhaps you have a chance.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
I think the best way for you is to come to US and start observership or research or fellowship.
When you start doing these, US people will get to know you better and when they'll like you they will send you an interview when you apply for the match and if you do well in the interview you will be taken no matter what are your scores or how old you are.
Having PHD from Italy certainly is NOT a lousy CV. You are much better than a fresh medical student who has no experience at all who just finished medical college located on the moon (I mean in the middle of nowhere).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey slampale
did you apply this year! any interveiws!
Yes I applied to 59 residency but no inteviews yet. Actually I have received 10 rejections already...this is why I am so worried...
I will try as you guys suggested the family medicine pathway and the observership one...I have actually done research for one year 4 years ago, and my menthors are the ones who wrote my LORs...
Thank you!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Yes I applied to 59 residency but no inteviews yet. Actually I have received 10 rejections already...this is why I am so worried...
I will try as you guys suggested the family medicine pathway and the observership one...I have actually done research for one year 4 years ago, and my menthors are the ones who wrote my LORs...
Thank you!!!!!!!!!!
Don't forget the scramble, you have a good chance in it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts