USMLE Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear All,

I'm a final year medical student. We all know How is important to Have US experience ( Medical Training Before the Match ) as I read in one of the Step Taker threads ; Filters for the Match.

It's almost every single school in US requests Malpractice coverage. I found it difficult to get reasonable and cheap one. Kindly asking you if you could tell me guys how did you work that out and if you could please supply me with email contacts of some trusted Agencies you dealt with or think that they are trusted.

Thanks a lot in advance
Best Wishes
Skeleton Builder

PS: regarding my long search, I didn't found better than "Academic Health Professionals Insurance Association 1250 Broadway Suite 3401,New York, NY 10001"
It provides coverage based on number of days you would stay in US and it's refundable if you're not accepted in the Elective Program.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
If you are talking about an elective then the university which you intend to do the elective with will guide you on how to do it step by step and I don't think it's required for electives.

If you are talking about externships (hands-on experience after you graduate) then usually the hospital that is willing to give you the externship will take care of that and again you have to contact them for details.

The other option is that you deal with externships companies and they'll cover you with the malpractice insurance as part of their package. Here's the link for a list of these companies http://www.usmle-forums.com/externships-observerships-clerkships/1420-paid-externships-imgs.html

The only reason that you may need to find a malpractice insurance yourself is when you yourself find the externship with a private clinic. In that case I recommend your read through the threads listed here http://www.usmle-forums.com/search.php?searchid=42211

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Step Taker.

It's a good idea to ask the Universities to guide you towhat to do and becomes more important when they require specific limits of coverage and that some companies don't cover specific states. However, Take Cleveland University or Mount Sini in NY for example, they tell you NOT to send your application without a letter proving that you are insured even though you are still in your final year (not graduated yet) and even though you apply for electives.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Contact them

I personally know Cleveland Clinic. They provide coverage themselves. I suggest you call their center for international medical education office and ask them about the matter. Here's the telephone number 216 445 1711.

They have a special section called MSE (Medical Student Education) and ask to speak to a representative there.

I think it's pretty much the same procedure with all other universities and schools.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I am planning on taking an elective at Temple University, they request as others proof of malpractice insurance even before you get accepted (sent with rest of the application form).
Unfortunately they don't provide it nor do they guide getting it, thus any help regarding malpractice insurance.

Help please :sorry::sorry::sorry:

·
Registered
168 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
well cant remember the exact link as it was a while ago
try contacting the guy in charge at his email [email protected]
Unfortunately I contact this person, and even filled in the form from the link you provided. They are no longer providing malpractice insurance anymore.

Please if you know any other agency/company that does provide malpractice insurance for electives kindly provide it to me. Best regards and appreciation.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts