USMLE Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Ex-USMLE Forums Staff
753 Posts
Here's the difference

In locked in syndrome you have paralysis of all four extremities so the patient is locked in by his immobility yet the patient is fully aware of the surrounding and is not unconscious.

Man In Barrel Syndrome (MIBS) refers to the clinical syndrome of bilateral upper extremity paresis with intact motor functioning of the lower extremities, giving the appearance of being confined within a barrel. The pathogenesis of MIBS is believed to be cerebral hypoperfusion leading to border zone infarctions between the territories of the anterior and middle cerebral arteries. This syndrome is very rare and is unlikely to be asked in USMLE.

·
Ex-USMLE Forums Staff
753 Posts
then it's high yield

wow super thanks, yeh i thought it was too much also but its in kaplan neuroanatomy, is studying for kaplan going over the top in regards to studying for step 1? thanks
If it is present in Kaplan Neuroanatomy then it's definitely high yield. These people do not mention anything unless they know it can be asked in USMLE. ;)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hi, can u tell me in which edition of kaplan neuroscience has MIBS? I have 2008 kaplan lecture notes blue book. am I reading the right book?
hey i just checked my 2006-2007 copy of kaplan neuroanatomy, its not mentioned in the book, but in the kaplan videos the guy mentions it in regards to medial pontine syndrome so i juz had it written down as a note

·
Registered
244 Posts
it is the same thing. yes - associated with central pontine myelinolysis from overexuberant correction of hyponatremia - as well as basilar?? artery occlusion.

not a very high yield topic, so if your kaplan doesnt have it.. its probably a good thing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.