USMLE Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's say that a pt has a 16mm PPD testing. He gets a negative CXR. That means he is a candidate of 9mo of INH. Let's assume that he completes his INH course.

My question guys is: What do we do next? Do we do a repeat PPD? I have searched a long way for this answer but I haven't been able to answer.

You would be very kind if you could give me an evidence based answer.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
472 Posts
well, with any disease, we Tx and then check again after the course is complete if the disease has receded and if we can stop Tx or continue it for sometime more. MTB is no exception to this and my answer is based on this fact.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well, with any disease, we Tx and then check again after the course is complete if the disease has receded and if we can stop Tx or continue it for sometime more. MTB is no exception to this and my answer is based on this fact.
Well:notsure:, the reason i asked is because, since the patient was exposed to TB he would be able to develop a skin reaction to TB no matter if he is treated or not. It will be useful if someone had a clear cut answer. Thanks coolatomic for the input :):):):):)

·
Registered
752 Posts
After treatment, shouldn't the PPD register a smaller induration, like <10 mm? This should confirm eradication I assume. :notsure:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Once a positive ppd,always a positive ppd.....so post treatment,it is not recommended to repeat ppd....however the newer tests for latent tuberculosis like quantiferon TB gold test would become negative after treatment.
This is my understanding,as the CDC guidelines say that once u have a positive ppd,u never repeat it.However please reconfirm it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts