USMLE Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi , everybody , recently, i heard many positive things about khan's medical ethic book ...... so , is it better than , Condrad fisher's MTB ethics ?
Which is best book to buy for study of medical ethics ?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Kaplan ethics you can learn them by the q bank khan cases reallly good it contain only cases and had some information referred to fa i ill go with bothe

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Hi , everybody , recently, i heard many positive things about khan's medical ethic book ...... so , is it better than , Condrad fisher's MTB ethics ?
Which is best book to buy for study of medical ethics ?
Of course if u have both books and time, then do both. If not from what I hear do khans book. More current and just like the mle ( from colleagues.)

·
Registered
18 Posts
i read almost all of conrads book (didnt finish the cases) and a portion of khans book. i cant say that conrads book helped me at all on the exam. khans book, which i bought after reading all the positive things about it, was a nightmare. i put the book down and decided to burn it.

after writing the exam i can confirm that nothing needs to nor should be studied for the ethics (i.e. medical law) portion of the exam. on my test the ethics questions were all easy and were nothing like what was in conrads book.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
i read almost all of conrads book (didnt finish the cases) and a portion of khans book. i cant say that conrads book helped me at all on the exam. khans book, which i bought after reading all the positive things about it, was a nightmare. i put the book down and decided to burn it.

after writing the exam i can confirm that nothing needs to nor should be studied for the ethics (i.e. medical law) portion of the exam. on my test the ethics questions were all easy and were nothing like what was in conrads book.
Thanks but we will also read our part and see how it helps or not. Absolutely risky to burn those books knowing well that we would get something positive from if not in our exams may be in practice.

·
Registered
18 Posts
i guess i should clarify... although nothing on my exam came from what i read in these two books, i stopped reading them before my exam because 1) there was nothing in either book that would make a difference in clinical practice and 2) khans book disgusted me. conrads book seems detailed and thats why i gave it a shot, but none of the material altered my thoughts.

example 1 from conrads.... person has DNR but needs antibiotics, do you give antibiotics? yes, of course.

example 2 from conrads..... kid is rushed to the hospital and needs an operation emergently, do you wait until parents come in to discuss the situation over a cup of coffee? ???

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
i guess i should clarify... although nothing on my exam came from what i read in these two books, i stopped reading them before my exam because 1) there was nothing in either book that would make a difference in clinical practice and 2) khans book disgusted me. conrads book seems detailed and thats why i gave it a shot, but none of the material altered my thoughts.

example 1 from conrads.... person has DNR but needs antibiotics, do you give antibiotics? yes, of course.

example 2 from conrads..... kid is rushed to the hospital and needs an operation emergently, do you wait until parents come in to discuss the situation over a cup of coffee? ???
"What do u mean by none of the material altered ur thoughts" and " there was nothing in either book that would make a difference in clinical practice"

Most of us here in this forum see medical law and ethics crucial to our practice in USA. In fact don't generalize it by saying it would not make difference in clinical practice. Of course it would. Many step taker and friends in residency have benefitted from these books so may be u knew it all in those books but a lot of peopl get low score in these sections and these books have proved quite helpful to them may be not you. I understand you but for the sake of members who may learn something from it, let us not paint it so black. Ok!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ethics

I read both. It doesn't take very long to get through either of them - two days to read them through once. Fisher had VERY basic cases like you wrote - child needs life-saving surgery and parents don't want to consent - what do you do? Good to read, but basic. Khan's Cases had a good mix of easy cases with tougher concepts, and has good explanations.

·
Registered
18 Posts
i think that the exam does pretty well to test how you would react in real life. that true reaction of yours is the key to picking the right answer.... do not select what you thought you read that you should select but rather what you would actually do if the scenario happened to you. after all, in reality most people are ethical (....except when buying stuff) and they just need to trust their decision. now im not trying to be sarcastic here, but spending two more days volunteering somewhere opposed to reading these books would probably help more on the exam (by reassurance)... and of course it would also give two full days of support to whoever needed it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Question

I would respectfully disagree. If the ethics questions were that easy I wouldn't miss so many practice questions on uworld.

That's the thing about these questions - they don't test what common sense would tell you is the right answer. Take this example - I've seen a similar question in both fisher and khans cases (this one's from khans):

You admit a 76 year old male with pneumonia. His PMH reveals CAD, diabetes, and hypertension. He smokes 1 pack of cigarettes daily. You start treatment with antibiotics and inhalers. What is the most important topic to discuss at this time?

A- Education about quitting smoking to lessen the chance of dying from heart or lung disease

B- Ask about an advance directive and the patient's wishes for end of life care

C-Education about the need to exercise to improve hearth health

D- Ask about a will so that if something happens during the hospitalization, his affairs are in order

E- Ensure the patient has refills so that he is compliant with his medications when discharged

·
Registered
16 Posts
Also

Also, if your advice is to spend two days reading something that I MIGHT already know, or spend two days volunteering, and you're suggesting that volunteering will help me more, then I think I'll stick with what everyone else says and read the ethics book.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
We shd not behave like we know it all. No single individual here can chest-out and say he knows all ethics questions and can solve them from simple common sense.

I agree with the idea of sticking to the book to clear up ethical concepts.
Pls nobody shd miss lead us here.

If u read and didn't find it useful, for God sake as far as a lot of step takers have recommended it, let us also analyse it ourselves but don't tell us to better do volunteering than that book.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I would respectfully disagree. If the ethics questions were that easy I wouldn't miss so many practice questions on uworld.

That's the thing about these questions - they don't test what common sense would tell you is the right answer. Take this example - I've seen a similar question in both fisher and khans cases (this one's from khans):

You admit a 76 year old male with pneumonia. His PMH reveals CAD, diabetes, and hypertension. He smokes 1 pack of cigarettes daily. You start treatment with antibiotics and inhalers. What is the most important topic to discuss at this time?

A- Education about quitting smoking to lessen the chance of dying from heart or lung disease

B- Ask about an advance directive and the patient's wishes for end of life care

C-Education about the need to exercise to improve hearth health

D- Ask about a will so that if something happens during the hospitalization, his affairs are in order

E- Ensure the patient has refills so that he is compliant with his medications when discharged
A or E??? Whats the answer?

·
Registered
16 Posts
answer

The answer is B- asking about an advance directive

Explanation is that all of the other issues, while important, are not acute and therefore not the MOST important. All patients who are admitted should be asked about advance planning as there is no way to predict what will happen to them in the hospital.

It's a good question and definitely not what common sense would tell me is the right answer. Practice questions are the best way to prepare for ethics and saying not to read anything is dangerous for everyone.

·
Registered
93 Posts

Explanation is that all of the other issues, while important, are not acute and therefore not the MOST important. All patients who are admitted should be asked about advance planning as there is no way to predict what will happen to them in the hospital.

It's a good question and definitely not what common sense would tell me is the right answer. Practice questions are the best way to prepare for ethics and saying not to read anything is dangerous for everyone.[/QUOTE/]

would have never come up with B for suree.. Thanks for the explanation...

·
Registered
1,114 Posts

It's a good question and definitely not what common sense would tell me is the right answer. Practice questions are the best way to prepare for ethics and saying not to read anything is dangerous for everyone.[/QUOTE/]

would have never come up with B for suree.. Thanks for the explanation...
U SEE THAT

1 - 20 of 22 Posts