USMLE Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
please tell us about your plan of study ,, meaning the materials you used and the order of using them including your frame time ,,, did you use this book before of after laplan Qbank or UW ,, ??

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
please tell us about your plan of study ,, meaning the materials you used and the order of using them including your frame time ,,, did you use this book before of after laplan Qbank or UW ,, ??
I have just started it. About to complete the Internal med section first and it is good. What I am doing is that I am first going through kaplan lecture notes and then reading the same chapter from this book. It has the important points in bold. The format is pretty simple with the best initial test, most accurate test, best initial therapy, mortality benefits. I find this useful and since this is a new book (it was released in dec 2010) so many people don't know much about it but as you can see there's a poll here which hokolesqua and step taker have suggested so you can see that.
My plan is to finish the theory part first and then do the MCQs from UWORLD.
best of luck

·
Registered
204 Posts
In my opinion MTB for step 3 has no value for STEP 3, but has tremendous value for step 2. now, MTB for step 2 is BETTER than MTB3 for Medicine, but other chapters are better written in MTB 3 (OBGYN for instance).

My recommendation: BOTH MTB 2 & 3 are OF GREAT importance to step 2 CK, but for step 3, there is no other study material besides UW.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In my opinion MTB for step 3 has no value for STEP 3, but has tremendous value for step 2. now, MTB for step 2 is BETTER than MTB3 for Medicine, but other chapters are better written in MTB 3 (OBGYN for instance).

My recommendation: BOTH MTB 2 & 3 are OF GREAT importance to step 2 CK, but for step 3, there is no other study material besides UW.
thanks a lot. So what about the other subjects surgery, peds, psych, ethics. Which one is better MTB2 or 3?

·
Registered
204 Posts
you are welcome. Regarding ANYTHING other than medicine, I recommend to study from MTB 3 and ADD any missing detail from MTB 2. of course, if you are studying kaplan lecture notes, you wont have much use of any other section other than medicine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
New Kaplan notes

Any one knows that the recent (2011-2012) Kaplan notes have any new information (significant changes) different from the old ones (2008-2009)?
Would you recommend me buying the new set?
Please respond.
Thanks

·
Registered
388 Posts
Any one knows that the recent (2011-2012) Kaplan notes have any new information (significant changes) different from the old ones (2008-2009)?
Would you recommend me buying the new set?
Please respond.
Thanks
i dont think u need it. even im studying from the old edition. stick to wat u have. they prolly hav a couple of extra lines.nothing to make u get a 260! lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts