USMLE Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone, here goes my plan
i am planning to take step 1 in feb 2011, and step 2 CK in late july 2011 so tht CK results will be out by sept ending 2011. can i apply for 2012 match when my CK results are out? i will be taking CS in late october. at the time of application, i will be having my step 1, CK score and i will NOT be having any LOR'S.
i am interested in IM. so do u guys think i should apply in 2012 or waste a year and then apply for 2013?? btw i am graduating in june 2011, so i will be a fresh graduate.
thanks in advance.

·
Ex-USMLE Forums Staff
753 Posts
Here's a plan for you

hello everyone, here goes my plan
i am planning to take step 1 in feb 2011, and step 2 CK in late july 2011 so tht CK results will be out by sept ending 2011. can i apply for 2012 match when my CK results are out? i will be taking CS in late october. at the time of application, i will be having my step 1, CK score and i will NOT be having any LOR'S.
i am interested in IM. so do u guys think i should apply in 2012 or waste a year and then apply for 2013?? btw i am graduating in june 2011, so i will be a fresh graduate.
thanks in advance.
Although you can apply for 2012 match but your chances are not so good without LoRs and without the CS results right away. I'd say delay your application until October 2011 or November 2011 when your CS results are out and see what you get (a trial application of not more than 50 programs), if nothing turns out then plan for hands-on externships from late 2011 until September 2012 and get strong US LoRs. This way your chances are greatest.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you so much
But dont u think it will be too late to apply by november 2011. i mean i feel my chances will get more lower.

·
Ex-USMLE Forums Staff
753 Posts
Yes, you can

Question: don't you need to finish all three steps (1, CK, CS) in order to get certified and be eligible to apply for a residency program?
No you don't need to finish all the exams to be eligible for residency matching. You can apply before you pass all the exams.
For example, most US graduates apply while they are in their final med school year before they pass the CK and/or the CS exam.
But for IMGs, it's better to apply while fully ECFMG certified because the competition is high and they may drop your application if they see it's not fully complete.

·
Registered
16 Posts
No you don't need to finish all the exams to be eligible for residency matching. You can apply before you pass all the exams.
For example, most US graduates apply while they are in their final med school year before they pass the CK and/or the CS exam.
But for IMGs, it's better to apply while fully ECFMG certified because the competition is high and they may drop your application if they see it's not fully complete.
Don't you need to be ECFMG certification to access ERAS?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts