USMLE Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am wondering roughly how many questions from the test required you to use some kind of math. Whether it be a simple formula you had to plug in (phys renal, cardio, ect) or biostats or even genetics. My math skills have seriously diminished and im worried ill have a ton of questions that need it (I know there are supposedly quite a few biostats q's that need you to calculate tables and stuff) but I am hoping some of you that took the test can help me out with how much math i should expect.

Thank you to anyone who takes the time give me a rough estimate of how many total math q's they had, Its greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply

Seriously thanks for taking the time to reply. And your answer made me happy man, I dont know why my math skills have fallen apart the way they have, not to mention all the stress ive had over the biostats calculations that I havent properly covered yet. Again thanks and I hope a couple more people take a min to put their experiences in as well.

·
Registered
259 Posts
i got a total of 4 questions in my exam. they were easy. it would be worthwhile to learn how to solve biostats cause you wouldn't want to give up easy points on the exam..

Reactions: drcuddles

·
Registered
4 Posts
I jus had around 7 to 8 math questions in total.... Dey were from renal and paharmacokinetics as far i remember... The math was simple but then u ll hav to pay special attention to the units for i was tricked by units in a particular renal question.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I wouldn't stress too much about math and calculations if I were you. Most of the questions involving calculations in my step 1 exam were simple and quite straightforward although i did encounter a few challenging ones. If you're worried about biostatistics questions, don't be, I found them to be easier then the ones you see in practice exams and in Uworld. Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
67 Posts
One thing I forgot to mention, I did run into a couple of genetics question which required a little bit of math. I think answering kaplan qbank genetics questions in addition to the uworld ones will help prepare you to answer most genetics questions they throw your way.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts