USMLE Forums banner

21 - 40 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
so if i am a PD and i have to choose between two applicants one with 230 and one with 270..which one will i choose?
Of course you will choose the one with 230 since it shows that person just memorised one book over 3 months over someone with 270 since that person worked his butt off for years reading every possible book to understand how things work !:)):)):))

Reactions: Leeby

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Of course you will choose the one with 230 since it shows that person just memorised one book over 3 months over someone with 270 since that person worked his butt off for years reading every possible book to understand how things work !:)):)):))
"for years?!..." where did you get that? my preparation lasted 7 months (i had one week free in november, one in december and 2 weeks off to study for my school's january exams) and I only took the decision to take the steps in august 2012. using usmle books for my university exams doesnt mean i have been preparing for the step 1 exam for a long time. anyway if you take for example your school's microbiology exam, you learn the same things you will face on step 1. but that doesnt count as usmle prep, or does it? so given that i was in no hurry (still have 2 years before graduating) why not take my time? i agree that my plan is not appropriate for graduates or other people who want to prepare quickly for the exams. but if you want to prepare while still at school, this is a good way. plus i wont be spending my summer studying for the steps, nor spending time after graduation relearning what i learnt during the first preclinical years..

·
Registered
297 Posts
"for years?!..." where did you get that? my preparation lasted 7 months (i had one week free in november, one in december and 2 weeks off to study for my school's january exams) and I only took the decision to take the steps in august 2012. using usmle books for my university exams doesnt mean i have been preparing for the step 1 exam for a long time. anyway if you take for example your school's microbiology exam, you learn the same things you will face on step 1. but that doesnt count as usmle prep, or does it? so given that i was in no hurry (still have 2 years before graduating) why not take my time? i agree that my plan is not appropriate for graduates or other people who want to prepare quickly for the exams. but if you want to prepare while still at school, this is a good way. plus i wont be spending my summer studying for the steps, nor spending time after graduation relearning what i learnt during the first preclinical years..
he was probably being sarcastic to the comment made by Ehsana.... :p:p:)
and in doing that he exaggerated a bit :p .... i think there is no need to worry about :p

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
hi med 28

congratulations again on your great score..

did u do all the nbme's?

what is your opinion about dit

and finally any particular advice about last one month of prep..

thanks

and good luck for c,k....
1. no i did only the nbmes mentioned in my post. as i said they are excellent assessment tools and definitely worth doing if you have the time and money. maybe the older forms (5,6..) do not reflect the structure of the newer questions but they still have a predictive value. plus i ve got the feeling that some questions on my real exam were similar to questions encountered in the nbmes, but that doesnt really mean anything.. so doing all nbmes cant be bad, as what everyone needs is practice. but if you just want a prediction, one nbme should be fine..

2. about my last month: i decided not to use new material in the last month. i would first study First Aid and then spend time redoing questions in usmleworld. By that time I had forgotten most of the questions, but as i had taken notes into fa, the concepts were familiar. what i needed though was practice and real exam simulation. by doing 3 consecutive blocks each afternoon i got used to answering questions on a computer screen (highlighting buzzwords,..), and established a pace that helped me crawl through a block with lots of minutes to spare and recheck some answers.

as my only source at that time was First Aid, i studied ~35-40 pages (just a quick read, as i said repetition was what helped me memorize things) and covered all subjects/systems in 2 weeks, thus twice within the last month.

3 days before my exam i decided to study again the pharmacology pages (adverse effects etc..).

2 days before my exam i went over my list of forgettable things. i dont have that list now, but you can find a good one searching in these forums..

i took the last day off, and decided to relax, watch a movie etc.. despite that i only got 5 hours of sleep as I couldnt fall easily asleep, but that proved to be enough...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I have a question: How did you study Genetics & Stats.
i didnt study a seperate book either for genetics or stats.

goljan's genetics chapter + first aid + questionsbanks were more than enough

about stats, i just studied what was in brs behavioral and then practiced with question banks. after doing lots of questions and reading the explanations you wont have a problem with stats, i guess...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
congrats on the score! for most of you guys out there..the review described here is by far the most impractical method i have ever seen! this is literally reading whatever thats out there! neither time nor cost effective at all!
the best way would be to get the most out of the exam by reading the least and spending the shortest amount of time..long story short in my opinion a 230 achieved in 3 months is more promising than this..
EhsanA funnily i agree with you on your first point (however i am in no position to express an opinion on your second point)

there were times i thought i could have used the kaplan lecture notes and spend less time on those review books. that's because what helped me the most were not those books but the question banks.. but as i was asked to describe my plan, that's exactly what i did. perhaps if were to do things again or under other circumstances (eg. in a 3-month period) i would just use the KLN, but i would definitely spend time and money for the questionbanks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
MashAllah

Congrats ,,,so inspiring,,, my exam is in a month but I guess I will try to incorporate ur techniques so maybe I will postpone .

Thanks a lot for sharing .

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
MashAllah

Congrats ,,,so inspiring,,, my exam is in a month but I guess I will try to incorporate ur techniques so maybe I will postpone .

Thanks a lot for sharing .
do not postpone your exam just because you read my story.. my experience may help you or may not. you have already done your preparation, so changing tactics one month before the exam may not be a good idea. there are a million ways to prepare for this exam and all of them are correct. you just have to find what suits you. as i said if i were to do things again, i would skip for example lippincott;s pharm and maybe use KLN.. but anyway i wish you good luck! :)

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I take using USMLE Books during preparation for univ exam is preparing for USMLE also but your interpretation may vary :)
I underlined the word Understanding because this is a test of understanding and not of memory for which you studied all those books (USMLE or non-USMLE)
What it all means that doing well during med school goes a long way for doing well on USMLE as shown by you.

For example, I had already studied Microbiology Made Ridiculously Simple and Lippincott's Pharmacology,

·
Registered
104 Posts
, my exam is in a month but I guess I will try to incorporate ur techniques so maybe I will postpone .
You're kidding right?

Otherwise, you should stop coming here to check online forums.

They stress you up unnecessarily, and tend me make you lose confidence in yourself.

And remember, if you're a graduate, the clock is ticking. Every day after graduation counts!

Med28 is still a student.

·
Registered
29 Posts
You're kidding right?

Otherwise, you should stop coming here to check online forums.

They stress you up unnecessarily, and tend me make you lose confidence in yourself.

And remember, if you're a graduate, the clock is ticking. Every day after graduation counts!

Med28 is still a student.
Thank you for the advice. But it's better to be late than getting a low score.

·
Registered
2 Posts
a question

thanks for writing all about your experience, i just wanted to ask a question because am planing to do almost the same plan but using only KLNs, FA and the question banks.
the question is how did you studied for your rotations and the USMLE at the same time?how could you manage?
am scared that i won't be able to focus at any of them if i did study for the USMLE while studding for the rotations too?

·
Registered
255 Posts
please give me some tip on how to study pharm, my weakest subject. and what about biostats ?

do not postpone your exam just because you read my story.. my experience may help you or may not. you have already done your preparation, so changing tactics one month before the exam may not be a good idea. there are a million ways to prepare for this exam and all of them are correct. you just have to find what suits you. as i said if i were to do things again, i would skip for example lippincott;s pharm and maybe use KLN.. but anyway i wish you good luck! :)

·
Registered
338 Posts
Hahaha :))

Damn i should try to work harder , six more days in yhe picu an am back to my daily routine of 6-8hr per day. I havent been able to revise at all this month since i work my ass off in the picu and by the time am home i just eat and sleep.

21 - 40 of 108 Posts