USMLE Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there,

can anybody tell me does this plan work for a very high score? something like 99/250+?
assuming getting the concept from LNs wherever there is a need, like bioch n immuno?

any experience n comment will be appreciated.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
because I think this plan will take me less time, besides using LNs, some facts would be missed among the huge material.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
hi there,

can anybody tell me does this plan work for a very high score? something like 99/250+?
assuming getting the concept from LNs wherever there is a need, like bioch n immuno?

any experience n comment will be appreciated.
It's a great plan.
Stick to it carefully and you'll get 250+

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks dear kalpana.you know,i`m just in a kind of doubt if those huge amount of details are really asked in the real exam?for example in gross anatomy?

thats why i thought the mentioned plan should work.however,i`m not gonna ruin my future just because of being lazy at the most critical stage of my carier as you are not able to retake the step,u know.

another piont,its about 10 yrs after my grdauation,so there is actually no memory of step1 subjects,i`ll not be able to answer any single question unless i read it during my preparation.

thats why i`m feared!

·
Registered
625 Posts
I don't know my friend - if you're that far away from basic sciences you might have some trouble unless you've kept up to date with very recent concepts. For example the USMLE has been stressing behavioural science and genetics very heavily recently... Without some background it'd be hard to understand for example VDJ recombination if you were just presented it as it is in ME or FA.

Just my two cents - you're right about Kaplan having detail but I think part of the reason for that is that they try to get you to understand the material more than memorize every line. When I did the kaplan course, they covered all of histology in approximately one morning and spent most of their time drilling in neuro concepts which is what is tested. If you can understand every explanation and every concept thats summarized in FA you'll be fine. Otherwise, I'd try and fit in Kaplan somewhere - even if it has to be an online thing like webprep.:)

·
Registered
114 Posts
First the basics - then review

It all depend how well you feel you know your subjects. Still if I were you I would do at least kaplan notes. Of course that depends how tight yours schedule is. For me it is about 4 years since i have done basic sciences so I do feel that I need little more than just FA and medessentials.

·
Registered
557 Posts
If you're fresh out of school and remember some of the stuff, then those may be enough. However, if you've been out of school for a while, then you may need to supplement with Kaplan or other recommended study guides. I haven't taken the boards as yet, but I am reading FA and Goljan now. Goljan is great on its own, but FA is an outline. So if you're reading and find that you don't understand something you have read another source, such as Kaplan, BRs, etc.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Nothing is guaranteed. A lot of it comes down to your test-taking strategies/on-the-day performance and the mix of questions that you get on the day.
But if you really get into those materials and really know the stuff, then I'd say those books should get you a very decent score! :)

Good luck!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks a lot for the answers.i decided to go through LNs, using KME and FA as guidelines.
I am not gonna risk on a new plan.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts