USMLE Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do we literally need to memorize every word of first aid, like for example for class 3 antiarrythmics is it necessary to memorize sotalol, ibultilide, bretylium, dofetilide (first aid) or is it OK to just memorize sotalol, amiodarone (kaplan)?
in other words, does USMLE test you on ibutilide, bretylium, dofetilide, etc.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Every word in FA is crucial

Each and every word in First Aid is important.

Seriously, later on when you do practice questions you'll see that FA has no extra word in it, every word will come in the exam.

I advise you to memorize it word by word cover to cover.

·
Registered
625 Posts
If you take a live course, sometimes the instructors will add other drugs to the first aid list and, just for fun, if you do Kaplan's new Qbank - the questions will ask about drugs not mentioned in their notes... Yup, you need to know all the drugs and as many more as you can.

The only rule is that they must now or at some point have been FDA approved for use in the US. Other than that almost everything is fair game.

·
Registered
919 Posts
wowwwww =(
it seems overwhelming at first but its actually not.:) slowly keep reading the drugs n when talking to friends n family mention the names of the new drugs u have learnt. if u learn to appreciate their generic names, all the drugs have been named somewhat similarly so that doctors can remember their names.

dont bother memorizing common names over n over again, like beta agonist n antagonist etc. instead focus on the names u havent heard before.

it'll all be fun eventually when u get a hang of it. take ur time in memorizing them.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it seems overwhelming at first but its actually not.:) slowly keep reading the drugs n when talking to friends n family mention the names of the new drugs u have learnt. if u learn to appreciate their generic names, all the drugs have been named somewhat similarly so that doctors can remember their names.

dont bother memorizing common names over n over again, like beta agonist n antagonist etc. instead focus on the names u havent heard before.

it'll all be fun eventually when u get a hang of it. take ur time in memorizing them.
I'll be done with reviewing Kaplan and Goljan next week and then I have 2 months to memorize first aid and do whatever of UWorld and Kaplan Qbank I can do, how long would you say it takes to go over first aid for first time, and also how many questions can you reasonably do a day of UWorld and Kaplan Qbank?

·
Registered
919 Posts
I'll be done with reviewing Kaplan and Goljan next week and then I have 2 months to memorize first aid and do whatever of UWorld and Kaplan Qbank I can do, how long would you say it takes to go over first aid for first time, and also how many questions can you reasonably do a day of UWorld and Kaplan Qbank?
2 weeks should be enough to read FA (but of course u might not remember everything, which is why re-reading it is crucial).

i think u should be able to do 4 sets (50 questions each) of questions each day at first because u might wanna look through FA while answering the questions. but later on u MUST try to do 7 sets in an 8hr sitting (at least a week b4 the exam to prepare urself for the exam).... at least that is what I'll be doing for my preparation. :)).... pls get better advice from those that have taken the exam.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts