USMLE Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I wanted to know minimum of how long you should do externship/observership to get a credit?
Should it necessarily be of 3-4 months or more? Or doing it for a mere month can do?
Of course the longer you do, the more credit you get.. But doesn't doing it for a month give any credit? I want to do it only for a month to spare more time to prepare for my steps..

·
Registered
546 Posts
Hi,
I wanted to know minimum of how long you should do externship/observership to get a credit?
Should it necessarily be of 3-4 months or more? Or doing it for a mere month can do?
Of course the longer you do, the more credit you get.. But doesn't doing it for a month give any credit? I want to do it only for a month to spare more time to prepare for my steps..
You said it in the last paragraph...the longer you do, more credit you get.
One month in CV is better than nothing..but try to get hands on training not observership because many programs do not count it clinical experience...
The last point, try to get many LORs even it is 1 month...number of Lors depends on you! you can shadow many doctors & request from them

GL

·
Ex-USMLE Forums Staff
753 Posts
No uniform answer

Your question can be rephrased into "what are the minimum USCE requirement by residency programs?"

Answer:
There's no uniform answer to this.

• Some programs satisfy with one month.
  • Some programs satisfy with two months.
  • Many programs require three months and above.
  • Some programs require six months and above.
  • Few programs require 12 months of hand-on USCE.
I don't have the exact percentages of each of these types but I gave rough idea by saying (some, many, few)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts