USMLE Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a discrepancy between what Goljan & FA say (membranous GN) and what UW says (focal segmental glomerulosclerosis).
Would it be more correct to follow UW?
Thanks.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
570 Posts
Focal is infact the most common as i can recall from Qbank Kaplan and the new edition ( Errata ) version of FA 2011 also says it FOCAL

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Whats the most common cause of nephrotic syndrome in adults?

Kaplan and FA says membranous glomerulonephritis but ive come across 2 qbank questions (1 kaplan, 1 uworld) that say focal segmental glomerulonephritus is the most common cause of adult nephrotic syndrome.
The explanations said that it WAS membranous, but now the most common is focal segmental.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
4,342 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
It was corrected

Don't know about Goljan yet, but I know it is corrected in FA in their 2011 errata to be the focal segmental.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Focal Segmental....WHAT

Sorry to bump. I also thought the most common cause of Nephrotic Syndrome in adults was Membranous Glomerulonephritis, but it turns out to be Focal Segmental, that is clear.

Now my confusion is the following:
Focal Segmental...WHAT.

In my Kaplan lecture notes and First Aid notes I have Focal Segmental Glomerulosclerosis as a cause of nephrotic syndrome. But some of you guys type Focal Segmental Glomerulonephritis, and some Glomerulosclerosis..

The question arises since I took the Kaplan Diagnostic Exam and in the explanation of the question they say its Focal Segmental Glomerulonephritis. But i don't even have that diagnosis in my lecture notes.

Sorry to increase the confusion guys... But what is the difference between Focal Segmental Glomerulonephritis and Focal Segmental Glomerulosclerosis. :confused:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Focal Segmental Glomerulosclerosis

Sorry to bump. I also thought the most common cause of Nephrotic Syndrome in adults was Membranous Glomerulonephritis, but it turns out to be Focal Segmental, that is clear.

Now my confusion is the following:
Focal Segmental...WHAT.

In my Kaplan lecture notes and First Aid notes I have Focal Segmental Glomerulosclerosis as a cause of nephrotic syndrome. But some of you guys type Focal Segmental Glomerulonephritis, and some Glomerulosclerosis..

The question arises since I took the Kaplan Diagnostic Exam and in the explanation of the question they say its Focal Segmental Glomerulonephritis. But i don't even have that diagnosis in my lecture notes.

Sorry to increase the confusion guys... But what is the difference between Focal Segmental Glomerulonephritis and Focal Segmental Glomerulosclerosis. :confused:
Maybe its a Kaplan mistake, Focal Segmental Glomerulosclerosis is the most common cause of adult nephrotic syndrome and the second most common cause is Membranous glomerulonephritis.

·
Registered
18 Posts
This is so bizarre!

I just solved a question in UW, QID 382 and it says that the most common cause of nephrotic in adults is membranous nephropathy. However goljan, pathoma, and internet says its FSGS, the reference they posted is from 2011. even UpToDate says its FSGS. What to do? :indifferent:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts