USMLE Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this letter off of a site and I will be modifying it a bit.

1. My question is will this be ok as an MSPE for an IMG?
2. What should I add to make it better?
3. Is it too early to get my school to send me this letter for 2012 match?

Thanks in advance

This is to certify that Dr.--- joined this college during the academic year of xxxx-xxxx and passed the first, second and final MD examinations at the university of----- held in November 2000, April 2002, October 2003 respectively all at first attempt through this college.

He thereafter satisfactorily completed the compulsory rotating internship as a resident intern from xxxx -xxxx and qualified himself for the award of MD degree at the University of xxxxxx.

During the period he was at the institute, his work and conduct were good.

I recommend him for any suitable job requiring medical knowledge and expertise within the scope of his medical degree.

taken from digitaldoc at http://www.usmletomd.com/tips4match/labels/Dean's%20Letter.html

·
Registered
741 Posts
Let me tell you a secret

The template you mentioned is just fine.

I would add your ranking among the batch of graduates if it was good.

Let me tell you a secret.

Residency program directors do not care at all about the IMG's Dean Letter, they only care about US students MSPE. Because they know that dean's letter does not carry any value in overseas countries. They rely more on your transcript to assess your performance.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The template you mentioned is just fine.

I would add your ranking among the batch of graduates if it was good.

Let me tell you a secret.

Residency program directors do not care at all about the IMG's Dean Letter, they only care about US students MSPE. Because they know that dean's letter does not carry any value in overseas countries. They rely more on your transcript to assess your performance.
Thanks Rasheed,

Just another thing , when submitting it will it be ok to call it an MSPE?

Also,
1- Do I need an ERAS ID on the document
2- How does one get an ID now assuming I'm not registered with ERAS I think it would be impossible?
3- Would it be a problem if my school sent it to ECFMG now?

Thanks and sorry for the hassle :confused:

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Answers

Thanks Rasheed,

Just another thing , when submitting it will it be ok to call it an MSPE?

Also,
1- Do I need an ERAS ID on the document
2- How does one get an ID now assuming I'm not registered with ERAS I think it would be impossible?
3- Would it be a problem if my school sent it to ECFMG now?

Thanks and sorry for the hassle :confused:
It's not ERAS ID, it's called AAMC ID. This one you'll get it when you apply to ERAS in mid July and of course you can't get it before that time.
Some experts say it must be there, some experts say it's not a must for the IMG.
I personally know many IMGs who sen't their dean letter without the AAMC ID and they got no problem. I even know several people who applied without any dean letter and they got no problem.

Yes. you can call it MSPE, in fact, later on when you use the ECFMG ERAS services, you will be calling it MSPE.

No. you cannot send it to ECFMG right now. ERAS services of the ECFMG won't open before July.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's not ERAS ID, it's called AAMC ID. This one you'll get it when you apply to ERAS in mid July and of course you can't get it before that time.
Some experts say it must be there, some experts say it's not a must for the IMG.
I personally know many IMGs who sen't their dean letter without the AAMC ID and they got no problem. I even know several people who applied without any dean letter and they got no problem.

Yes. you can call it MSPE, in fact, later on when you use the ECFMG ERAS services, you will be calling it MSPE.

No. you cannot send it to ECFMG right now. ERAS services of the ECFMG won't open before July.
Thank you again for such valuable information!:)

·
Registered
26 Posts
About the template

Can we still use the same letter for an IMG, because right now there is different MSPE template at AAMC and ERAS from the template above

1 - 6 of 6 Posts