USMLE Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay,
Can anyone plz tell,, What can be the benefit of doing more than one clinical electives if accepted ??

Like, If one does an elective for 2 months in a good hospital should one undergo electives offered by another hospital in the consecutive month !?? Is it worth the time and money being spent ?? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Absolutely. It helps!! Students from South Asia (and elsewhere) should do as many student electives as possible in the US, as more and more IMGs compete with Carribean grads and other European grads who are now doing core clerkships in the US. Having a few months of clinical electives in the US will put you on the same playing field.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can you explain further ??!!

Absolutely. It helps!! Students from South Asia (and elsewhere) should do as many student electives as possible in the US, as more and more IMGs compete with Carribean grads and other European grads who are now doing core clerkships in the US. Having a few months of clinical electives in the US will put you on the same playing field.
Ya thats well said,, but by doing more than one electives at different locations and collecting more LORs , in the end we can send only 3/4 LORs to individual programmes,, so how will it help in setting us apart from others ??

·
Registered
9 Posts
Stronger CV

I guess it will strengthen up the CV as well!!
Like one who has 2 months of elective experience vs 4 months ;; one with 4 months would be preferred more by the PD !!?
Is It??
Correct me if I am wrong !!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I don't think its been mentioned yet, but the key to electives is invites when it comes time for the match. A lot of programs tend to always invite the people who did an elective with their programs. They also tend to rank you very high as you already know everyone is the program and they won't be taking a gamble on someone who may not work well with the current residents.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Keep in mind one thing. If you plan to apply to the state of NY for any residency program you CANNOT do more than 12 weeks of clerkships (any rotations that count towards your credits for graduation) outside of the country of your medical school. So yes, electives are a great way to make connections and get USCE, but keep the above in mind.

Reactions: Neutrino

·
Registered
145 Posts
Keep in mind one thing. If you plan to apply to the state of NY for any residency program you CANNOT do more than 12 weeks of clerkships (any rotations that count towards your credits for graduation) outside of the country of your medical school. So yes, electives are a great way to make connections and get USCE, but keep the above in mind.
Good point.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Okay? Not sure what the point of keeping that in mind is? IMGs apply nationwide. IMGs can and should do electives wherever they can find them - not just in New York:confused:.
You have not understood the post.

It is not a question of doing electives in NY its a question of being eligible for RESIDENCY in NY. If you want to apply for residency nationwide (except NY) by all means do as many electives in the US where ever you get them. If you want to apply to NY for residency DO NOT do more than 12 weeks of rotations outside the country of your medical school prior to graduating.

Reactions: drsaid

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Already corrected !!

You have not understood the post.

It is not a question of doing electives in NY its a question of being eligible for RESIDENCY in NY. If you want to apply for residency nationwide (except NY) by all means do as many electives in the US where ever you get them. If you want to apply to NY for residency DO NOT do more than 12 weeks of rotations outside the country of your medical school prior to graduating.
Drsaid has already corrected it !! :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Drsaid has already corrected it !! :)
lol I didn't see that before explaining it a little further. As long as people know that :) I didn't until recently. A lot of my colleagues wasted a ton of money applying to NY when they were not eligible.

Reactions: kagman

·
Registered
28 Posts
hey

lol I didn't see that before explaining it a little further. As long as people know that :) I didn't until recently. A lot of my colleagues wasted a ton of money applying to NY when they were not eligible.
DrSn, I'm not gaining any credits by doing electives. What if I do more than 12 weeks of electives and not gain credits for them ? Will I still be ineligible to apply in NY ?

·
Registered
109 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.