USMLE Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!!

Hope you are doing well

I start this new threat to talk about my USMLE STEP 1 Experience, in which I got 232. They gave me the result yesterday.

Starting about me and my background, I am still a Spanish student currently at Sixth year, the last one. I still don´t know why I started study for Step 1 but here I go. Probably cause nobody knows what we will be doing in the future and taking USMLE exams are like an open door in United States.

Exam date: 21th of April

Study plan: From Octuber to April. I am working so I couldn´t prepare it full-time. 4 hours on average from Monday to Friday. I may reach 6-7-8 hours on Sundays. I couldn´t study on Saturdays.

Sources:

FIRST AID: AS F**** buddies. I knew this pretty well. Easy read from October to December, to knew what I was facing. From January to April I read it again like 5-6 times easily. The first read was the hardest. I did study most of the concepts but was long time ago. But this book should be on your desk daily. I would say that 80 per cent of the concepts are taken from this book...

QBANK: I did 212 blocks of 44 questions. At April I could answer the questions only with reading the last sentence.

Secondary resources:

High Yield Microbiology: One read on November. Then, FA is more than enough.

Clinical Microbiology Made Ridicously Simple: One read on November. Microbiology was pretty tough but only after reading this book, it turns out to be very very very very simple.

Kaplan books: Only few parts of Genetics, Biochem and Pharma and they aren´t that good in my opinion. A lot of sh**.

BRS Phisiology: One read at the very end.

The 100 cases you are most likely to see on the exam: One read at the very end. Not only single one view on the day test. Paaam.

Pathoma: Videos are amazing. Wacth them after read FA, you would take the most of them only after have some base. The book is good as well, but the videos are way better.

And that´s all. I don´t remember if I have something left to say so this must be everything.

My aim: Radiology. I am planning to become a Radiologist, first in Spain and only after that, in United States.

My Step 1 one score is a bit low for Radiology but I am pretty damn happy with it. I still don´t understand those people getting scores higher than 230 and complaining. I had to put a lot of hours, a lot of effort and a lot of sacrifice on it.

Study hard. that is the only way a good luck

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Use Uworld as test and learning tool.

I suggest you to go over them as much times as you can. Never wont be enough if you want to get a good score.

I did 2-3 blocks per day and spent 15-20 minutes reading explanations and only writing useful stuff on FA.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Use Uworld as test and learning tool.

I suggest you to go over them as much times as you can. Never wont be enough if you want to get a good score.

I did 2-3 blocks per day and spent 15-20 minutes reading explanations and only writing useful stuff on FA.
wohooo 20 minutes ? I read that people finish 1 block in 6 hours. You must be a fast reader or something :))

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not at all. 1 block has 44 questions and there is a limit time of 1 hour.

If someone do one block in 6 hours should be more like a tortoise than a person. Besides, the test last 7 hours and has 7 blocks so do the count.

In some blocks at Uworld, I lasted 40 minutes in answering all questions. In others 30 minutes. In the real test day, I almost run out of time. So train that and try to do blocks of 44 questions in 45 minutes aprox.

After finished the block, I spent other 15-20 minutes in reading all the explanations.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Not at all. 1 block has 44 questions and there is a limit time of 1 hour.

If someone do one block in 6 hours should be more like a tortoise than a person. Besides, the test last 7 hours and has 7 blocks so do the count.

In some blocks at Uworld, I lasted 40 minutes in answering all questions. In others 30 minutes. In the real test day, I almost run out of time. So train that and try to do blocks of 44 questions in 45 minutes aprox.

After finished the block, I spent other 15-20 minutes in reading all the explanations.
I mean 6 hours to solve and study the explanations. ( 1 hour to solve and 5 hours to read the explanation)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts