USMLE Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys international medical student from Greece here.
Just received my score-254 .. :D :D so I would like to share my experience

Resources
1. First Aid
2. Becker video lectures
3. Pathoma
4. CMMRS
5. First Aid
6. Kaplan qbank
7. UWorld qbank
8. ANKI

Preparation
1. January 2016-June 2016: Rushing through my resources and annotation of First Aid 2015 (The first contact with USMLE material- NOT a real prep period 2-3h/day, 3-4 days/week)

DEDICATED
2. 5 Aug-19 Oct: Studying of (annotated) FA2015 & transferring notes to FA2016
3. 20 Oct 2016: NBME 12-->230
4. 22 Oct-31 Nov: UWorld (1 block/day) & taking notes & review theory when needed
5. 1 Dec-26 Dec: Review (annotated) FA 2016 & UWorld notes
6. 27 Dec: NBME 17-->255
7. 29 Dec-10 Jan: UWorld (2 blocks/day) & taking notes & review theory when needed
8. 14 Jan: 2 assessments back to back & 1h total break
NBME 15-->252
UWSA1-->266

9. 15 Jan-24 Jan: Review (annotated) FA 2016 & UWorld notes
10. 25 Jan: NBME 18-->246 (not a good day)
11. 26 Jan-5 Feb: Review (annotated) FA 2016 & UWorld notes
12. (31 Jan--->practice session at prometric center = free 120 q's-->89%)
13. 7 Feb 2017: REAL TEST254

Comments
1. Anki
I was pretty lucky to have a friend with whom we began our preparation together using the same resources. He spent a lot of time (and I mean A LOT of time) creating his own flashcards , which he shared with me. Every time I received a deck from him was like receiving a blessing from God( :p ).Sadly by the time I began my dedicated period he hadn't completed about half of the sections of FA, and I had to use Brocencephalon's deck for the missing ones (Bro's deck was far inferior compared to the deck my friend was making, but I guess it was better than nothing). I did flashcards everyday (at least one hour per day from November 2015 to 15 Jan 2017 without skipping a single day) which really improved my long-term retention of knowledge and minimized the time required for reviews.

2.Hours studied per day during dedicated
August-September : 6h/day (including Anki)
Oct-Nov: 8h/day (including Anki)
Dec:9h/day (including Anki)
Jan:11h/day (not including Anki)

3.Sites that I found useful
library.med.utah.edu/WebPath/webpath.html
I didn't use it systematically but if I had to prepare for step 1 again I would definitely incorporate that in my studying

usmle-rx.com/proposed-errata-and-suggestions-fa-step-1
When you end a system or a section in First Aid just check out what other people proposed to change in next first aid version. You will find too many hidden gems here PLUS you will have the new First Aid long before its published ;)

reddit.com/r/step1/comments/4uej4b/survey_results_2016_usmle_step_1_correlation/
When taking your NBMEs just check out these correlation charts to assess where you stand.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well done!

Hey guys international medical student from Greece here.
Just received my score-254 .. :D :D so I would like to share my experience

Resources
1. First Aid
2. Becker video lectures
3. Pathoma
4. CMMRS
5. First Aid
6. Kaplan qbank
7. UWorld qbank
8. ANKI

Preparation
1. January 2016-June 2016: First pass through my resources and annotation of First Aid 2015 (along with my Med school courses)

DEDICATED
2. 5 Aug-19 Oct: Studying of (annotated) FA2015 & transferring notes to FA2016
3. 20 Oct 2016: NBME 12-->230
4. 22 Oct-31 Nov: UWorld (1 block/day) & taking notes & review theory when needed
5. 1 Dec-26 Dec: Review (annotated) FA 2016 & UWorld notes
6. 27 Dec: NBME 17-->255
7. 29 Dec-10 Jan: UWorld (2 blocks/day) & taking notes & review theory when needed
8. 14 Jan: 2 assessments back to back & 1h total break
NBME 15-->252
UWSA1-->266

9. 15 Jan-24 Jan: Review (annotated) FA 2016 & UWorld notes
10. 25 Jan: NBME 18-->246 (not a good day)
11. 26 Jan-5 Feb: Review (annotated) FA 2016 & UWorld notes
12. (31 Jan--->practice session at prometric center = free 120 q's-->89%)
13. 7 Feb 2017: REAL TEST254

Comments
1. Anki
I was pretty lucky to have a friend with whom we began our preparation together using the same resources. He spent a lot of time (and I mean A LOT of time) creating his own flashcards , which he shared with me. Every time I received a deck from him was like receiving a blessing from God( :p ).Sadly by the time I began my dedicated period he hadn't completed about half of the sections of FA, and I had to use Brocencephalon's deck for the missing ones (Bro's deck was far inferior compared to the deck my friend was making, but I guess it was better than nothing). I did flashcards everyday (at least one hour per day from November 2015 to 15 Jan 2017 without skipping a single day) which really improved my long-term retention of knowledge and minimized the time required for reviews.

2.Hours studied per day during dedicated
August-September : 6h/day (including Anki)
Oct-Nov: 8h/day (including Anki)
Dec:9h/day (including Anki)
Jan:11h/day (not including Anki)

3.Sites that I found useful
library.med.utah.edu/WebPath/webpath.html
I didn't use it systematically but if I had to prepare for step 1 again I would definitely incorporate that in my studying

usmle-rx.com/proposed-errata-and-suggestions-fa-step-1
When you end a system or a section in First Aid just check out what other people proposed to change in next first aid version. You will find too many hidden gems here PLUS you will have the new First Aid long before its published ;)

reddit.com/r/step1/comments/4uej4b/survey_results_2016_usmle_step_1_correlation/
When taking your NBMEs just check out these correlation charts to assess where you stand.
Congrats doctor! Looks like your hard work paid off. What made you choose Becker over Kaplan? I'm just curious as most students use Kaplan :notsure:. Thanks a lot and best wishes on your next steps :happy:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Congrats doctor! Looks like your hard work paid off. What made you choose Becker over Kaplan? I'm just curious as most students use Kaplan :notsure:. Thanks a lot and best wishes on your next steps :happy:
I chose Becker just because I found the professors teaching better (at teaching) than Kaplan's..

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
congrats Doctor...what should one do to increase scores in every new NBME test :confused::confused:
It depends on what level of your prep you are right now.. Generaly the best way to increase your NBME score is to review your material. I think its wrong, what many people do, to add a new resource to your studying.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
did kaplan bank help you answer unique questions?
Heyy there (I also saw your pm but I cant answer b/c I ve got to have at least 15 public posts to answer pm:confused::confused: )
Look first of all the most important advice I can give you is NOT TO GET so anxious about the wtf questions that you will get.. The majority of the questions you will get you WILL be able to handle..so focus to understand your big concepts and slowly you will gain experience to answer more complex q's!
Now Kaplanqbank.. I used that bank only to improve my test taking skills and start uworld with some experience in solving usmle type q's :)
Hope this helped.. For any other question feel free to ask :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi congratulations :)

First of all congratulations! Well deserved. Second, I was wondering, how did you feel was the exam? was it different of what you tought? Was it harder than NBME and UWORLD or same level? Was questions straighfoward or really WTF questions the majority?

Was there topics more talked about than others that you werent expecting. Is UFAP enough? Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Heyy there (I also saw your pm but I cant answer b/c I ve got to have at least 15 public posts to answer pm:confused::confused: )
Look first of all the most important advice I can give you is NOT TO GET so anxious about the wtf questions that you will get.. The majority of the questions you will get you WILL be able to handle..so focus to understand your big concepts and slowly you will gain experience to answer more complex q's!
Now Kaplanqbank.. I used that bank only to improve my test taking skills and start uworld with some experience in solving usmle type q's :)
Hope this helped.. For any other question feel free to ask :)
But would you advice to do kaplan qbank? was it really helpful all in all?
and lastly what about becker videos were they helpful? or would you do something else with that time if you could go back?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
First of all congratulations! Well deserved. Second, I was wondering, how did you feel was the exam? was it different of what you tought? Was it harder than NBME and UWORLD or same level? Was questions straighfoward or really WTF questions the majority?

Was there topics more talked about than others that you werent expecting. Is UFAP enough? Thank you for your time.
The exam difficulty was overall a little harder than uworld (by harder I mean that the real exam questions needed 1 or 2 more steps-than UW-in your thought process to get the right answer)
No the questions were not straightforward except 3-5 easy questions.
No, I just had 2 wtf questions having no clue about the answer- blind guess :p
I will assume UFAP= Uworld-FA-Pathoma :p (?) yeah UFAP (along with Becker lectures to enrich my FA) was absolutely enough at least for my goal.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
But would you advice to do kaplan qbank? was it really helpful all in all?
and lastly what about becker videos were they helpful? or would you do something else with that time if you could go back?
Yeah I would definitely advice to do kaplan qbank (the more questions you solve the more experienced you will get)
Becker helped me a lot to understand the basic science and not just memorize it and also helped me enrich the first aid or make it better in some points..if I could go back I would probably not do sth else b/c I have not tried another resource to know if it would be better or not..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yeah I would definitely advice to do kaplan qbank (the more questions you solve the more experienced you will get)
Becker helped me a lot to understand the basic science and not just memorize it and also helped me enrich the first aid or make it better in some points..if I could go back I would probably not do sth else b/c I have not tried another resource to know if it would be better or not..
Congratulations doctor!!! Well done! When do you plan to take step 2 ck?
Do you plan to participate in match 2017?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi!
First of all, Congrats on your score! And Second,Thank you for sharing your study schedule and technique.
I have a vague concept of flash cards, I have never used or made them. What I would like to know is, for which subjects is it absolutely necessary to have flashcards?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi!
First of all, Congrats on your score! And Second,Thank you for sharing your study schedule and technique.
I have a vague concept of flash cards, I have never used or made them. What I would like to know is, for which subjects is it absolutely necessary to have flashcards?
Hi there !
Ok look flashcards use the method of spaced repetition to strengthen your memory in fields you are weak and make concepts stick to your mind!
Personally I had a deck of flashcards in almost any section of step 1 material, BUT if you want to spend less time using flashcards I would suggest you to use them in sections that include too many facts (i.e. Biochemistry, Microbiology, Pharmacology, General principles, Biostats/Ethics) & for concepts-facts that you keep forgetting no matter how many times you review.
For me flashcards were the key to reach my target :)
If you think I forgot any section that needs flashcards feel free to ask I will be glad to answer :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts