USMLE Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys....finally i got my scores in .........n thank god, they came to be near what i expected ....so here are my 2 cents on this forum

1) its not about fa ,kaplan, u world . Its about what you read in your med school.If you wasted your time away in med school , it is nearly impossible to score good on step 1 .......... so no more marked books , no more pappus(guide books)..... go for standard textbooks . They might not fetch you a distinction in your med school xams but they sure help you in usmle.

2) revise revise revise . annotate , annotate annotate. in the last two months do just fa n u world and revise as much as u can

3)be ready for a good mind FU**. this exam F**** your life . Its grueling and sometimes leaves you in tatters emotionally . be ready for it . study with some one . It helps

4)do NBME's online . My exam was a copy (rather a tough one) of nbmes . If you can pay >10k $ for the usmle process (for non us imgs ) then don't be a miser . Pay for them . They are worth it .

So here is my story .

I Started preparing for my step 1 from April,13. But I was never seriously into it . given that I was interning at a very busy Delhi hospital , most of my time I was in the hospital n when I was not I was too tired to study . So i finished my first read of Kaplan by October , and that too in parts .. I hadn't even started BS and had half done biochem. Goljan.......I never liked the book ....I was good with pathology in med school so i never read this book seriously . So basically I was in deep ****. The only good thing I did was to get a 6 month u world subscription and to do it topic wise . But I didn't annotate it.

Come november ,13. I got a wake up call . I didnt even know the name FA by this time leave apart buying and studying from it . So one of my seniors told me about the book and I bought it . It was the best decision I took during my prep . I loved this book . It was small concise and to the point.
The problem with kaplan was that although it explained everything very well still it was too boring and colorless to catch my attention . I used to sleep after reading like 10 pages . But FA was awesome.

So I started with FA and now i started annotating my u world .Still doing it topic wise . Reading FA gave me the confidence that this exam was doable .I took 2 months to go through this book . and I annotated about 800 q from my q bank.Done with U world 1 time. My u world percent was 76%. Gave my first NBME and got 250

January I got over with my Internship. So finally I had the time and energy to study . I reset my u world and started doing it random , sometimes timed sometimes untimed . and I annotated most of the stuff in u world .

Also me and my girlfriend used to study together and that helped a lot . U need to talk to someone , watch a movie or a tv show . U cannot study 18 hours a day .Having a study partner helps a lot.

So, I revised my FA again n gave nbme 7 and uwsa 1 in successive weeks. Revised FA about 3 times before my exam . I ended my u world with a 94% on the second run. 10 n 3 days before my exam i gave nbme 15 n 11 respectively. I did uwsa 2 somewhere in between.

Exam day

It took me 10 questions of the first block to come to the realization that i was giving Step 1 . I marked 6 out of first 10 questions . I shook my head in frustration and took in a deep breath and started with my questions again . I took me about 20 more questions to get into a rhythm . i came back to do any remaining questions that I had left . in all i marked about 4 to 6 questions per block , out of which i had no idea of 2 to 3 questions and the rest i knew a bit about them . My 6th block was tougher where I marked 10 questions.

after my Exam I had this feeling that my exam went ok , but i did the worst thing you can ever do . I started checking my answers . and in two days I had a list of 17-20 wrong answers . I **** my pants when I realized my mistakes . i wanted to kick myself for changing from the right to wrong option on 6 questions . i cursed myself . Told myself that i was worth failing . Pissed off my girlfriend and my parents . Prayed to God every morning that I get an arrhythmia and never get to see my score , Ecfmg building burns down or something of the sort happens .

But today it was a pleasent surprise to get my score card of 261 .exactly as the nbme i gave 3 days before my exam

·
Registered
523 Posts
awesome.. c i told u u'd do it.. :)

so just wanted to know that in the last mth were u still doing UW or was it just FA & nbmes? also how many nbmes u did in total & how many online?

thanks & enjoy now

·
Registered
214 Posts
Hey, thanks for great post! You state that it is kind of impossible to get a good score without solid background from med school. Is it really impossible? Bc I was terrible student in med school :) I actually got good nbme scores 240-250 . Do you really think it is impossible for a terrible student to get good score in usmle ? I appreciate if you clarify THXHappy-2

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Manu.
Congrats on getting great scores!
I'm an intern in ucms. Till a few months back my preparations were going smoothly for step 1 then a few difficult postings and i lost my momentum i guess for now. I've had 78% on UW and did UWSA1 on Monday with almost half the stuff that i had not revised since may(biochem, micro, pharma, physio) and got 256. I plan to give step 1 next month. Trouble is I have no senior to go to for help as of now. I'm worried cause I wanted a 265+ score and I'm slacking off with reading because of postings.
I really liked the fact that what matters the most is how sincerely one reads in med school matters the most and I believe that is completely true.
Could you pm me your mobile number or something? I'll give you a ring then. I'd like to ask you for some advise. eg. what strategy you followed while doing uw again and the nbmes you'd recommend?
I guess it'll help me more than just browsing through forums.
Appreciate your help!
Sushant

·
Registered
34 Posts
hi guys....finally i got my scores in .........n thank god, they came to be near what i expected ....so here are my 2 cents on this forum

1) its not about fa ,kaplan, u world . Its about what you read in your med school.If you wasted your time away in med school , it is nearly impossible to score good on step 1 .......... so no more marked books , no more pappus(guide books)..... go for standard textbooks . They might not fetch you a distinction in your med school xams but they sure help you in usmle.

2) revise revise revise . annotate , annotate annotate. in the last two months do just fa n u world and revise as much as u can

3)be ready for a good mind FU**. this exam F**** your life . Its grueling and sometimes leaves you in tatters emotionally . be ready for it . study with some one . It helps

4)do NBME's online . My exam was a copy (rather a tough one) of nbmes . If you can pay >10k $ for the usmle process (for non us imgs ) then don't be a miser . Pay for them . They are worth it .

So here is my story .

I Started preparing for my step 1 from April,13. But I was never seriously into it . given that I was interning at a very busy Delhi hospital , most of my time I was in the hospital n when I was not I was too tired to study . So i finished my first read of Kaplan by October , and that too in parts .. I hadn't even started BS and had half done biochem. Goljan.......I never liked the book ....I was good with pathology in med school so i never read this book seriously . So basically I was in deep ****. The only good thing I did was to get a 6 month u world subscription and to do it topic wise . But I didn't annotate it.

Come november ,13. I got a wake up call . I didnt even know the name FA by this time leave apart buying and studying from it . So one of my seniors told me about the book and I bought it . It was the best decision I took during my prep . I loved this book . It was small concise and to the point.
The problem with kaplan was that although it explained everything very well still it was too boring and colorless to catch my attention . I used to sleep after reading like 10 pages . But FA was awesome.

So I started with FA and now i started annotating my u world .Still doing it topic wise . Reading FA gave me the confidence that this exam was doable .I took 2 months to go through this book . and I annotated about 800 q from my q bank.Done with U world 1 time. My u world percent was 76%. Gave my first NBME and got 250

January I got over with my Internship. So finally I had the time and energy to study . I reset my u world and started doing it random , sometimes timed sometimes untimed . and I annotated most of the stuff in u world .

Also me and my girlfriend used to study together and that helped a lot . U need to talk to someone , watch a movie or a tv show . U cannot study 18 hours a day .Having a study partner helps a lot.

So, I revised my FA again n gave nbme 7 and uwsa 1 in successive weeks. Revised FA about 3 times before my exam . I ended my u world with a 94% on the second run. 10 n 3 days before my exam i gave nbme 15 n 11 respectively. I did uwsa 2 somewhere in between.

Exam day

It took me 10 questions of the first block to come to the realization that i was giving Step 1 . I marked 6 out of first 10 questions . I shook my head in frustration and took in a deep breath and started with my questions again . I took me about 20 more questions to get into a rhythm . i came back to do any remaining questions that I had left . in all i marked about 4 to 6 questions per block , out of which i had no idea of 2 to 3 questions and the rest i knew a bit about them . My 6th block was tougher where I marked 10 questions.

after my Exam I had this feeling that my exam went ok , but i did the worst thing you can ever do . I started checking my answers . and in two days I had a list of 17-20 wrong answers . I **** my pants when I realized my mistakes . i wanted to kick myself for changing from the right to wrong option on 6 questions . i cursed myself . Told myself that i was worth failing . Pissed off my girlfriend and my parents . Prayed to God every morning that I get an arrhythmia and never get to see my score , Ecfmg building burns down or something of the sort happens .

But today it was a pleasent surprise to get my score card of 261 .exactly as the nbme i gave 3 days before my exam
Congratulations!! I am really inspired by your step1 journey! Brst of luck for step2-3

1 - 9 of 9 Posts